• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair Build

camss69

70cc twin V2
Got the test stand finished today, put together a fuel tank for the stand. Had to lower my tank shelf. Got the throttle servo setup and mounted the ignition. I could have run it today if I had fuel for it. I guess I need to drill the prop? Not sure what size it needs to be yet, or how to drill it and keep the hole centered? Hope to run it next weekend..

Found Great Planes makes a 12mm prop reamer... ordered..

Last edited:

camss69

70cc twin V2
Got the gas can together for the Corsair since it's a different mix for the Saito. Stumbled across this Evolution brand gas cap, this thing is a deal! Comes with the fittings a felt clunk and a meter of what looks like viton fuel tubing all for $20.99. I had the hand pump sitting around and used tygon instead of the supplied Viton, I'll save that for something else, a nice cheap little setup. For how much I'll use it, it's perfect. Made the pump hangar out of an old pushrod.

Attachments

• IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @camss69

I like that gas can cap and stuff from Evolution. I need to get myself a rig like that for my Saito too. Thank's for the tip. . . :way_to_go:

Now hurry up and get that video posted of your 90 running. . . . :laughing:

David

camss69

70cc twin V2
Getting there, the prop reamer and Keleo baffle kit showed up today! Going to get another one of those caps for my regular gas can too.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @camss69

I will have to get another one as well if I ever get time to get the engine in my Laser ( the one in my avatar) and get it in the air. I already see a problem with my running two drastically different oil contents. See, my Durango is not big enough for my Jug and my Laser both and I know as sure as I'm sitting here that I am going to pick up the wrong gas can when I load up and go to the field. I've done it before with my glow fuel. Trust me, a YS 91 4 stroke runs like CRAP on 5% nitro. . . . :yesss:. Do you know where to find a 1 gallon gas container like the one you have that is not red? I was thinking it would be another reminder which gas can to pick up. Of course, I will clearly mark the can as well, but I need all the help I can get. . . . . :LOL_gif:.

camss69

70cc twin V2
I did a search online and found Sears carries blue 2 gallon cans. I think you want at least a two gallon can, you have to mix at least one gallon of gas at a time and if there's anything left in the 1 gallon can you won't have enough room. I was thinking the same thing though, better mark the cans somehow. I'm in the same boat, only enough for one plane in my 4Runner.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I am glad someone on this thread is using his brain. I was so happy when I realized that a bottle of 50:1 mix for 2.5 gallons of gas would work just right for a 20:1 mix in a gallon of gas that I completely forgot about the oil for a 20:1 mix taking up so much room in the can. . . . . . :ugh!:

camss69

70cc twin V2
Well, as much as I wanted to hear the engine run this weekend it didn't happen. Saturday I was out of town all day for my daughters lacrosse. So yesterday I spent the day building a new motorbox. I had a problem with the first one, it came out warped. Long story short I ended up ordering another one and spent the majority of the day putting it together. This time instead of using the clamps to hold the pieces together I weighted them down on a flat surface and everything came out perfectly square this time. After a fair amount of sanding it fits as it should. Hope to get it epoxied in this week so next week I can run the engine. I only want to put the exhaust ring on once and I can't fit the engine box with the exhaust ring on.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 579

camss69

70cc twin V2
Got the motor on the plane today, only temporarily to figure out where to set the motorbox. Sure looked good on there though! It's a REALLY tight fit with the cowl.. I may have to cut some holes to clear the rocker covers.. I'm not sure yet. It's so close there was some excess epoxy on the inside of the cowl by one of the rockers, I had to sand it down to get every bit of clearance possible. I think I'm going to run dual 12oz tanks, there's not enough room for anything bigger. Then jam the throttle servo on the right of the tanks..

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 614

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
WOW @camss69,

That Saito looks AWESOME bolted on the firewall of your Corsair. . . . . . . . :yesss:. I was curious if the Saito was going to fit in your cowl. A friend of mine put a Saito 450 radial in his kit built Top Flite Corsair and he had to shave a little off the top of each valve cover for clearance. Hopefully you can get the big Saito to fit without modifications. If not, maybe you can find some old Saito 150 valve covers and do the same thing. I'm guessing they are the same.

I see you are using Savox servos in your plane. I was thinking of trying some in one of my planes. How do you like them? The only negative comment I have seen about them is that they are a little noisy.

Keep up the great work . . . :way_to_go: