• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC practice tips for new pilots.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Although not really practice tips I think the following will indirectly help first/second year pilots become better.

1. Obtain the most recent AMA Competition Regulations and read/study them; available on the IMAC web site. Knowing the guidelines for flying and judging each maneuver in your class can only help.

2. Attend a rules/judging school. Hopefully several are planned for your IMAC Region or try to make the National school. Knowing how you are going to be judged will accelerate your learning curve.

3. I believe most pilots memorize their maneuvers and flight sequence but you should become comfortable having a "caller" by your side at competitive events. A caller can help keep you relaxed, focused and will be invaluable when your mind goes blank for a second during your judged sequence.......it will happen.

4. Write out your IMAC sequence EXACTLY as you want your caller to read it when you're "in the box." Hopefully you fly with a buddy and can work with each other when you practice and travel to competitions. Having your sequence written out will be invaluable when you need to use another person as a caller.

One of the guys at JTEC has already done this for each 2015 class. They are nicely done and can be used as is or modified to your liking.

http://www.jtecrc.com/imacsequences.html

5. Get a stick plane to help with visualization. I think this will really help when dealing with unknowns......Sportsman level and above.

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Lots of great tips. Here's some more....
  • Focus on the fundamentals of the GEOMETRY of the figures. Devote some practice sessions to just doing the basic figures, over and over. Loops, 1/2 loop to inverted, another 1/2 loop to upright. Make sure the wings are level at the beginning and end of each 1/2 loop.
  • As mentioned earlier, learn what level flight is....both upright and inverted.
  • Practice yawing the plane with rudder while keeping the wings LEVEL as you go back and forth across the box. TRY and move the plane away form you when doing this and then bring it back in towards you the same way.
  • NOW, do the same thing while inverted and level. Learn what rudder is needed to move you away (out) and back in. Tip - when inverted coming across the box, moving the rudder stick in the direction the nose is pointed will move the plane OUT. Towards the tail will move it IN.
  • Do square loops centered in front of you. Focus on line length, track and radii....each must be the same as the previous one.
  • make the plane move OUT during the square loop, then make it move back in, via the rudder practice you did above.
THEN...flip the high rate switch and go berserk for a bit...after all, ya still gotta get some giggle in before landing :dancing-chicken:

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
I have a question concerning the accepted noise level.
If as a new pilot you attend an IMAC contest and enter to fly in basic with a plane that was not purposely built as an IMAC plane. Meaning you are running a Pitts style muffler. After judges listen to planes on canisters fly this Pitts style muffler will seem excessively loud if the IMAC standard is the sound level from canisters. Will the Pitts style muffler have a negative impact on your score?

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
A good and fair judge will understand that your entering basic and should just be happy that your there and flying, a pitts will be quiter than most stock mufflers and acceptable for noise levels, what matters when it comes to noise, it should say " sound " levels, be mindfull of throttle, a prop ripping, full power and huried sequence through every manouver, even level flight , regardless of noise level, will draw more attention and poor scores, than a simply loud plane.
your sound score SHOULD be based on prop rip and throttle control, not just exhaust note. Or else an electric plane could have an automatic 10 every round. And that's not fair or according to the rules.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Here's one for you: I live in a part of the country that has a "build season". How can I use my simulator (RF 7.5) to practice IMAC? Are there specific exercises that lend themselves well to simulator training? How to you guys use simulators?
Simuolators are great and can really help you advanced your skills.
I always use the sim when I'm home and not flying and because of one major and crustal thing that sum all practice, burning gas and tips a tricks it's our friend MINDSET.
You mustn't think wile you fly you need to react.
You need your mindset be in active so when the plane needs correction you don't think how to you actually do it in real time.
Of course to get to a good mindset you need to practice and stage your mind to it but that's what it's all about.
See landing for example, you don't think how to correct your dropped wing, you actually do it. Nose in, out etc...
So, sim can really help you built it, practice it and then when you go to the field and fly your plane all the corrections come in a natural way.
Now all you need to take care of it's the geometry radii and other basics in IMAC.

If you keep it simple you are smart.