• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
f536e0f4cda184b9ec70e7d22abc172b.jpg

You guys are hilarious. Lol

When I did the canopy for my Trex550e I sprayed it silver first, masked off everything I wanted to stay silver, and and used those lines as the edge for several other colors.

View attachment 94537 View attachment 94538 View attachment 94539 View attachment 94540
Very nicely done. I honestly don't think I'll have too much of an issue with the vents. I definitely will be painting the white first, then the red and finally the purple. As for the stripe? Still undecided yet. Going to address the painting this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed.
saying-a-prayer-smiley-emoticon.gif
Oh and yes, doing a lot of praying too. Lol

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just a small nibble to keep your taste buds tantilized. I will post more photos later. I will also give a run down of my process to get to this point. But for now, back to painting. Throw that remote out the window and stay tuned. More to come.
20170325_140415.jpg
20170325_140434.jpg
20170325_140447.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Okie dokie.... so here is my story and I am sticking to it. The photos I posted earlier were of the WingsWestRC White paint that was "supposed" to (1) spray very nicely, (2) match the Ultracote White covering and (3) when dried should give a smooth finish. None of the above happened. First, the nozzle on the can sprayed "clumps", inconsistent and uneven waves of "splattering". See the photo of the concrete below. That would be overspray from the can.
angry emoticon.png

20170325_105240.jpg

At any rate, I wet sanded the paint back down to a smooth finish and decided to swing by KC Auto Paint to see if they could offer some suggestions. What I was informed was either the paint separated for what ever reason, or the nozzle was defective. At any rate, a total loss of one full small 11.8 oz. can of $25.00 white paint.
swearing-rage-smiley-emoticon.gif

While there, I quizzed Andy about the cooling vent louvers and what would be the best way to get the best results when painting them. He handed me a roll of "fine line" tape. I know @Jetpainter will know exactly what this is. Anyway, back to home I go with the tape and a fresh roll of blue painters tape. After I was satisfied with the finish of the cowl...."AGAIN", I masked her off, papered her off and chose to attempt a real "CHEAP" fix to my paint issue.

20170325_144914.jpg
20170325_144918.jpg
20170325_144926.jpg
20170325_151444.jpg

I purchased a $4.00 dollar can of "WHITE" Rustoleum Paint from Home Depot. I matched it the best I could with a scrap of White Ultracote. After trembling at the possible outcome, I shot a first coat and waited for the paint to "melt" off the cowl. It didn't melt off. In fact, the first coat was so much better than the first coats of the WWRC paint that I decided to proceed. After a second coat it looked even better still. And the final covering color "matching" coat was on, I could see that I was going to be very pleased. I waited for about 15 minutes and removed all the paper and tape and what the heck??....It looks really nice. Laid next to the fuse....it is a "spot on" match for color.

20170325_152538.jpg
20170325_152544.jpg
20170325_171205.jpg

I plan to let this cowl sit now for a solid few days before I "EVEN" attempt masking it to shoot the Purple and Red paint. I have huge concern there with that too. Andy at KC Auto Paint did give me some paint cards to use for testing the WWRC paint. So I will shoot each color on the two cards to see how they spray. I can tell you all this...if the Purple and the Red spray anything like my White did....I will not even attempt spraying the cowl. The paint will go back faster than a speeding bullet from a gun.

Those of you that know me well, know I do not pull any punches and like it or not for some companies....I tell it like it is. As was the case of the BE 124 review and testing and other companies I have dealt with. Unfortunately Frank did not stay around long enough to reap the rewards of the BE 124. The 124 has turned out to be a pretty good engine just as my review stated. The guy in Vegas that now owns mine as well as my sons are still pouring out the beasty performance. At any rate, If a product is good and I being of very limited knowledge and experience with some things can make good of it....then great. If something "fails" miserably, I am in no way going to tell my friends and others that a product is awesome when it is not. As it stands right now, if the Purple and Red shoot fine...then perhaps it was just the can of white or the nozzle. And that is fine. I will eat the cost of the White can of paint. If however they do not, well...then I would pretty much say I would not give a plugged nickel for all three cans that I paid over $82.00 for. Future purchases will be $4.00 cans of paint from Home Depot.

I know you all can understand the effort I have put into this Pitts. As well as hopefully appreciate me being straightforward.