• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I guess I need to start figuring out how to mask off the different sectors for the paint scheme. According to the full scale "Miss Maggie", It looks like I need to lay down the white first, then the Pearl Purple and finally the Flame Red. Ugh, Not looking forward to this. LOL

View attachment 94466

Anyone have some suggestions on proper procedure? Umm....Uh, @Jetpainter? What say you?
It depends. Are you painting the silver pinstripe or using tape? If your painting it than I would spray some silver in the area where the stripe goes, then after it dries lay fine lines tape over the area you want to stay silver then spray white. You can spray the whole cowl white since red covers over white very well, and the white shouldn't have any trouble covering the silver. Then mask the areas you want to stay white. If you used the right size tape when you masked for your silver stripe then the red area is basically already masked. Spray the red then cover that and spray the purple last. I think that is the order I would use. Hopefully I didn't make it to confusing.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It depends. Are you painting the silver pinstripe or using tape? If your painting it than I would spray some silver in the area where the stripe goes, then after it dries lay fine lines tape over the area you want to stay silver then spray white. You can spray the whole cowl white since red covers over white very well, and the white shouldn't have any trouble covering the silver. Then mask the areas you want to stay white. If you used the right size tape when you masked for your silver stripe then the red area is basically already masked. Spray the red then cover that and spray the purple last. I think that is the order I would use. Hopefully I didn't make it to confusing.
Not at all confusing. I would like to do the silver in paint. I don't know if I can find a matching pin stripe the same color as the cut covering pin stripe on the rest of the fuse. I will follow your procedure as I feel it makes the most sense. Thank you for your suggestion.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Big step forward, the only thing is you are going to be inspecting it closer and closer and will continue to find tiny imperfections, it is up to you now to say it's ok. But I must say big change for better.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

I don't think that cowl will ever be good enough for you. Why don't you just go ahead and box up the plane & cowl and send it all to me. That way you won't have to worry about it any more. . . . . :spongebob:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Not at all confusing. I would like to do the silver in paint. I don't know if I can find a matching pin stripe the same color as the cut covering pin stripe on the rest of the fuse. I will follow your procedure as I feel it makes the most sense. Thank you for your suggestion.
I take pin stripping of an appropriate size, wipe it down with steel wool, and paint it with the desired color, even decal type vinyl works well done the same.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Big step forward, the only thing is you are going to be inspecting it closer and closer and will continue to find tiny imperfections, it is up to you now to say it's ok. But I must say big change for better.
Indeed, a very big change. As for being ok with me, I can be quite anal at times. We'll see on that one.

Hey Rob,

I don't think that cowl will ever be good enough for you. Why don't you just go ahead and box up the plane & cowl and send it all to me. That way you won't have to worry about it any more. . . . . :spongebob:
Well....um, ah...ok. Why not? It's not like I need another 3w powered round cowled plane right? NOT. LOL....Thanks though. Hee hee

I take pin stripping of an appropriate size, wipe it down with steel wool, and paint it with the desired color, even decal type vinyl works well done the same.
That is very interesting. I have never done that little trick. I may consider it depending on my final decision of how to go about this part. I may just say to heck with it and take the easy way out. Try to find some pin stripe to match.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little progress today after work. First, the paint from Wingswest arrived today. Goofy danged mail carrier "STUFFED" the package inside my mail box. Surprised it even fit. I got it out, but it was interesting to say the least.

20170320_193042.jpg

I also sanded the last of my touch ups on the cowl. Yes, I think it will be just fine. I am going to let it sit over night and then tomorrow evening, I will do a final wet sand with 600 grit. I want that surface to be as smoooooth as a babies hinnie. I still need to mask off the canopy/hatch. So the actual painting processs will probably not take place for a few days. I will update everyone when I get to that point.

20170320_193110.jpg

I actually am quite pleased so far. This is very doable for me. Even as anal as I can be from time to time. Stay tuned everyone. We're in the home stretch now.