• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Need help with Yak build

Casey

New to GSN!
Is there anybody that can help me with my yak 54 I am wiring it up with a kill switch and two batteries and it's confusing me to the point where it's frustrating me is there anybody that can help me with a diagram or knowledge of setting up Electronics

WMcNabb

150cc
Hello Casey, First of all welcome to GSN!
There are several knowledgeable people here, who are willing to share their expertise.

Perhaps a bit more information is needed, with as much detail as possible.
Are you wiring a kill switch for ignition on a gas engine, or a switch for powering a receiver?
Brand of switch
Brand of receiver or ignition
Chemistry and voltage of batteries
Type of servos - as in High Voltage or non High Voltage

With this type of info, help can be provided.
The last thing any of us would want is to recommend something and not have a full view of your situation.

I’ll give an example of the equipment in my 100cc biplane, and the relationship to other components:
  • Batteries: 2 x 2S 7.4 volt LiPo (Lithium Polymer) 5000 mAH for receiver (probably more capacity that needed)
  • Receiver: PowerBox Competition SRS w/ 4 x Spektrum Satellite Receivers - built in voltage regulator so the 7.4V won’t hurt my non HV servos
  • Ignition: TechAero ibec - used to power the ignition with the receiver batteries
  • Servos (all non-HV): 1 x Futaba S9157 (Rudder), 4 x Futaba S9156 (Ailerons), 2 x JR 8611 (Elevators), 1 x JR 8411 (Throttle)
  • Transmitter: Spektrum DX9 - each servo has its own channel, along with the TechAero ibec for a total of 9 channels in use
  • Switches:
    • One switch on the transmitter is programmed to turn the TechAero ibec on and off
    • One switch is built into the Powerbox to turn it on and off, thereby powering the satellite receivers
Each person has their own preference in terms of equipment, which may differ by size of airplane, so this is only one example.

Attachments

• B39B8E37-EA97-4CF1-9B0D-5C3CF5A5DD79.jpeg
    B39B8E37-EA97-4CF1-9B0D-5C3CF5A5DD79.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Casey

New to GSN!
There are several knowledgeable people here, who are willing to share their expertise.

Are you wiring a kill switch for ignition on a gas engine, or a switch for powering a receiver?
Brand of switch

The last thing any of us would want is to recommend something and not have a full view of your situation.

I’ll give an example of the equipment in my 100cc biplane, and the relationship to other components:
  • Batteries: 2 x 2S 7.4 volt LiPo (Lithium Polymer) 5000 mAH for receiver (probably more capacity that needed)
  • Receiver: PowerBox Competition SRS w/ 4 x Spektrum Satellite Receivers - built in voltage regulator so the 7.4V won’t hurt my non HV servos
  • Ignition: TechAero ibec - used to power the ignition with the receiver batteries
  • Servos (all non-HV): 1 x Futaba S9157 (Rudder), 4 x Futaba S9156 (Ailerons), 2 x JR 8611 (Elevators), 1 x JR 8411 (Throttle)
  • Transmitter: Spektrum DX9 - each servo has its own channel, along with the TechAero ibec for a total of 9 channels in use
  • Switches:
    • One switch on the transmitter is programmed to turn the TechAero ibec on and off
    • One switch is built into the Powerbox to turn it on and off, thereby powering the satellite receivers
Each person has their own preference in terms of equipment, which may differ by size of airplane, so this is only one example.
I definitely appreciate you getting back to me new at this

Brand of switch

• Switches:
Will a I certainly appreciate you getting back to me I know I don't know I know I got a Futaba 7c Futaba servos a Futaba receiver I got a dle 30cc engine I just purchased thisRcexl V2.0 Opto Gas Engine Kill Flameout Switch CDI and the basics I know going from the ailerons 2 the receiver the elevators going to the receiver the runner going to the receiver the power going to the receiver the throttle going to the receiver but I just cannot figure out how do I wire in the kill switch to the battery to the receiver when I get home off work I'll be more than happy to throw some of those statistics at you but I want to get into this Hobby and I find airplanes just mesmerizing and fascinating and I love every aspect of them and I just want to be a good pilot irresponsible pilot and I want to know how to wire things

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Your RCEXL Kill Switch 2.0 uses a separate battery for the ignition module power.
There should be 4 wires. LED, Black (To your Receiver), Red Female connector (Battery Input), and a Red Male connector (connects to the Red Power input for your CDI).
The black wire goes into an open channel assigned to a switch on your transmitter. You may need to adjust your endpoints to get the LED to come on and off.

Casey

New to GSN!
Your RCEXL Kill Switch 2.0 uses a separate battery for the ignition module power.
There should be 4 wires. LED, Black (To your Receiver), Red Female connector (Battery Input), and a Red Male connector (connects to the Red Power input for your CDI).
The black wire goes into an open channel assigned to a switch on your transmitter. You may need to adjust your endpoints to get the LED to come on and off.
So there's no need for two on and off switches then there my correct

Casey

New to GSN!
This Is so great that there's a place like this that I can come in rattle people's brains with that questions you're going to hear a lot for me cuz I need to learn a lot I'm so excited to get into this field of hobbying I've flown a few planes never successfully landed them so I know that yak is kind of a big step I do have smaller planes that I am going to fly before I put the yak in the air

Two switches are not necessary, but I always put a switch in-between the battery and opto kill switch, as well as a switch between the battery and receiver. But I also prefer the Smart Fly kill switch, with external LED. No confusion on condition of kill switch!

Last edited:

sailr

50cc
So there's no need for two on and off switches then there my correct

I always use two switches one for the battery to the ignition and one for the battery to the receiver. IF you don't turn off the power, the batteries will discharge below usable voltage and be ruined. It is very simple to put a switch between the battery and ign and rcvr.

Casey

New to GSN!
I always use two switches one for the battery to the ignition and one for the battery to the receiver. IF you don't turn off the power, the batteries will discharge below usable voltage and be ruined. It is very simple to put a switch between the battery and ign and rcvr.
You guys are not getting what I need I understand I need to switches all right don't know where to put them in line with the batteries and everything else