• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub build

Since i haven't shipped the engine i decided to remount it and get the tee nuts in. Once I cover them up I'm locked in on this engine. Mount the tank support first then I'll work my way backwards and up. I'll send the engine off early January.

View attachment 120443

View attachment 120444
Just a quick question....will you put aNtloc nut on the bolts thru the firewall for the engine mounting....just a thought, tell me if it's a ridiculous idea and not needed, unfortunately, I am learning solo, so I rely on you guys to set me straight....Thanks

Just a quick question....will you put a Nyloc nut on the bolts thru the firewall for the engine mounting....just a thought, tell me if it's a ridiculous idea and not needed, unfortunately, I am learning solo, so I rely on you guys to set me straight....Thanks

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Just a quick question....will you put a Nyloc nut on the bolts thru the firewall for the engine mounting....just a thought, tell me if it's a ridiculous idea and not needed, unfortunately, I am learning solo, so I rely on you guys to set me straight....Thanks

Bill, good question. Yes on Nyloc nuts if I could but most of these will be inaccessible eventually. If I was to remove the engine the nuts would fall down and that's not good.

I am thinking about gluing them to my t nuts and did some exploratory work today.

I cut out some more of the framed assembly above the engine so I could reconsider the lock nuts.

IMG-0010.jpg

IMG-0012.jpg

Bill, good question. Yes on Nyloc nuts if I could but most of these will be inaccessible eventually. If I was to remove the engine the nuts would fall down and that's not good.

I am thinking about gluing them to my t nuts and did some exploratory work today.

I cut out some more of the framed assembly above the engine so I could reconsider the lock nuts.

View attachment 120479

View attachment 120480
Hi sorry I didn't mean to get you to change anything and I know my own CUB's and PC6 Pilatus...haven't got them on...plus I bet that anything like the bolts coming loose is probably never happened...and also it's item 5 on my checklist before flying....to check that they are tight...but the hatch is a good fix....it's been noted in my list of good things to do. I wonder if anyone has thought of making the Firewall out of aluminium plate.... OH no there I go again.....JUST KEEP GOING mate ignore me.

Yep, blind nuts should be fine. Just check them after every couple flights to begin with. As the engine shakes and the wood compresses, they tend to loosen up now and then. The firewall atachment points are more vulnerable than the engine mount bolts.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I know a guy who liked to use genuine wood screws for his motor mounts..... The blind nuts would be fine with some locktitie and with a split lock washer under the bolt head I'd Think. I probably would have used a fender washer and a nylock. Should be just fine though!