• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I will be using ultrakote. I have had the option of doing others but I like ultracote the best and mostly because I know it and its capabilities and tolerances. As for paint, I will be using Wings West RC paint again like I did on the little Jtec Pitts. I want a perfect match to the covering. Even though it's a little bit more expensive, the pits came out really nice. And after a year of the paint being on there, there is no deviation from now and the time that I first painted it.

I'm an ultracote fan as well. I started off using monokote but it's not as forgiving as ultracote when it comes to stretching and heat tolerance IMO. Plus the ultracote wax paper backing verses the peel off back... peel off is lame when it comes to patch work. I've tried the tower stuff, and it doesn't adhere as well as ultracote does.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm an ultracote fan as well. I started off using monokote but it's not as forgiving as ultracote when it comes to stretching and heat tolerance IMO. Plus the ultracote wax paper backing verses the peel off back... peel off is lame when it comes to patch work. I've tried the tower stuff, and it doesn't adhere as well as ultracote does.
Tower stuff is as you said it does not stick well but for now it is on and if I have problems it will get changed.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey @stangflyer,

You doing OK Buddy? Haven't seen you around much lately. . . . . :concern:
Hey David, Oh yeah... just been really busy and have had computer issues. Bad...BAD, computer issues. Ah but I am getting a grip on it. Got my new laptop up and running. Slowly getting files from the previous transferred on to the new one. Why is it you can spend a thousand dollars on a laptop and with all the new technology out there, there is "NO" way to plug one computer into another and simply access the hard drive? Stupid....

New progress on the 330 coming up "VERY" soon. I think you all will be really pleased.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
As promised... a little bit of an update. The covering has arrived. And I am so jacked and ready to start covering this beast. But first, I need to take care of that totally illegitimately installed firewall. I just will not do the 3.5 degrees right thrust and 2 degrees down thrust. I cut the firewall free from the motor box and now I will build a new firewall... set the proper angles and reattach the new firewall. I do also need to build a new top motor box cover. As I destroyed the original by removing the firewall. Oh well, if you're going to do something....do it right. Right???? LOL
20180501_182852.jpg 20180501_182858.jpg 20180501_182904.jpg 20180501_182843.jpg
Once I have this taken care of, I will start covering the fuse, then the wings and stabs. Oh this is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to get this bird air worthy.

More to come soon.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What are the new thrust angles going to be?
As per Tony, the down thrust will be "0" degrees and the right thrust will be 1.5-2.0. (I am probably going to stick pretty darn tight on the 1.5 degrees right thrust) The original owner of this airframe had it set up for literally IMAC only flying. The first dead give away was the 1/8" wafer at the top between the front former and the cowl ring. Setting the cowl in a down slant. I knew right off the thrust angles were going to be so wrong for what I wanted the plane to do. So back to the original as it comes from the factory.:way_to_go:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey David, Oh yeah... just been really busy and have had computer issues. Bad...BAD, computer issues. Ah but I am getting a grip on it. Got my new laptop up and running. Slowly getting files from the previous transferred on to the new one. Why is it you can spend a thousand dollars on a laptop and with all the new technology out there, there is "NO" way to plug one computer into another and simply access the hard drive? Stupid....

New progress on the 330 coming up "VERY" soon. I think you all will be really pleased.
Hey Buddy,
You aren't the only one who has been busy. I didn't hardly touch a plane all winter. . . . . . :cryin:. I have all but given up on getting my AMR Stick built any time soon, so I did the next best thing. I bought the Great Planes Giant Stick ARF so I can have something to hang my 3Dub 70 on. Now I just need to find someone to put it together for me. . . . . . :doh!:

I'm glad you're getting back to your Extra. I look forward to more updates. . . . . :yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Thanks to my awesome son @Shayne Epley and all his really cool shop toys, I now have a brand new double laminated firewall for the 330. Two 3/16" and one 1/8" backer for a total overall (+) 1/2" thick firewall. Pretty sure this will be more than strong enough to support that beast 157cs yankin' on it.
1525573932454516956187.jpg 1525573967150705765746.jpg
I plan to start setting the new firewall tomorrow. But tonight? Aww yeah, I'm gonna play with some covering.
double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
Stay tuned everyone.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks to my awesome son @Shayne Epley and all his really cool shop toys, I now have a brand new double laminated firewall for the 330. Two 3/16" and one 1/8" backer for a total overall (+) 1/2" thick firewall. Pretty sure this will be more than strong enough to support that beast 157cs yankin' on it.
View attachment 103261 View attachment 103262
I plan to start setting the new firewall tomorrow. But tonight? Aww yeah, I'm gonna play with some covering.
View attachment 103263
Stay tuned everyone.
I would hope so, I have a 170 on an 1/4" wall.