• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Now, it seems the planes are looked at as more disposable... just get 'er done! :gnashing:

That's hitting the nail on the head. Not many like to build anymore either. I just wrapped up a design on a plane and have a date with the laser tonight. I'll be running a single on each elevator (MKS 380), two on rudder in tail and two on each aileron. The difference is I have full control of building in hard points and structure to spread out the load of the servo. Also foam core surfaces don't bend like balsa built up:way_to_go:

Joe Hunt

150cc
Yeah, from there I went to the 5955s... hell of a servo... and introduced gears that never wore out. Last plane I had before I took a break was outfitted with 8711s... best feel of any servo back then. I had two on the ailerons and 3 on the rudder back then on 122" planes. But then and now still having trouble mentally with one servo on each elevator half. Although my Dalton was that way and I setup my new Yak that way. I'm way happier having two on my new Extra. What can say? :gnashing:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I've seen one radio rep state that power distribution units do nothing and are a waste. That's he's tried them and feels no difference. I ran tests on this way way back in the day and saw a massive difference. 4volt drop vs 1volt drop to my elevator servos in my Carden. Been meaning to setup some tests and make a video. This Futaba 2018sb RX setup on my new plane made it easy to show a test which clearly shows there is a huge difference between what a standard RX can do and what a purpose built power distribution can do:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Wow....my first thought would be something is wrong with that receiver. Why are they equipped with nice dual Deans plugs if they can't handle the pass-thru voltage?

My Futaba 6014HS receivers have never displayed that kind of voltage drop in my 42% Raven.

Spats

100cc
Joe, I almost lost a plane due to that receiver last week. The 7018 has some problems as I am sure you are aware of. I returned mine and the tower rep said they are receiving most of them back that were sold. I've never had the lock problem with other Futaba receivers. In fact I run 14HV servos all the time on my 6014's. But it would be nice to see a test with the 6014 and a power unit. Did you see the disclaimer in the 7018 box? No more than 6HV servo's on it! That's stupid for an 18ch receiver with giant battery cables. Futaba shot their own foot with this one.

I've seen one radio rep state that power distribution units do nothing and are a waste. That's he's tried them and feels no difference. I ran tests on this way way back in the day and saw a massive difference. 4volt drop vs 1volt drop to my elevator servos in my Carden. Been meaning to setup some tests and make a video. This Futaba 2018sb RX setup on my new plane made it easy to show a test which clearly shows there is a huge difference between what a standard RX can do and what a purpose built power distribution can do:

I'm going to see where the Futaba RX's go before I decide what to do on my Dalton. I may just go dual receiver or I may go Smart Fly Power Expander. Now that you don't need 14 servos for a 150/170/200 cc plane, you can do without a power distribution unit as long as you go with dual receivers or are using a receiver with power distribution in it (I.E. Spektrum and JR Power Safe).