• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
Now that you don't need 14 servos for a 150/170/200 cc plane, you can do without a power distribution unit as long as you go with dual receivers or are using a receiver with power distribution in it (I.E. Spektrum and JR Power Safe).

Definitely a lot of options for getting power to the servos these days, and in the old days. I've always wanted to make sure my servos were not starved for power. Today's servos draw even more power than yesterday's servos. I've always thought we'd get lower prices from servo manufacturers if the manufacturers got less servos in for repair/replacement. And, I've always thought that would happen if we had linkage setup that didn't introduce pry load, had servos that needed to be synchronized actually synchronized throughout the entire range of travel, and also did not starve the servos for power. Putting a volt meter on a Y with my elevator servos (longest extensions) helped me realize I wanted a better power distribution setup. I dropped 1volt when using an Emcotec, I dropped 4volts just using the RX. Some RXs do seem much better at handling current these days, though, and some do not... e.g., Futaba 7018sb jumbo lead. :roflmao:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That's nuts and really sucks for you Futaba guy's. JR and Spektrum power safe revievers have been working wonderfully for several years now. I wouldn't think that pass-through voltage would be that difficult. Have you tried the same test with a LiPo since they have a higher discharge rating typically? Not that it would fix the problem but it would rule out a choke because of the battery C rating.

I tried this a couple years ago when I put my first 12ch power safe RX in a 40% bird and if I remember correctly even wiggling the entire plane worth of servos (that were actually hooked up to the surfaces) I saw less than 1 volt drop and that was using A123 cells at 6.7v fresh charge. I'm switching over to all LiPo this year and having great luck.

Hopefully they will get the Futaba RX fixed up for you guy's!!

Joe Hunt

150cc
That's nuts and really sucks for you Futaba guy's. JR and Spektrum power safe revievers have been working wonderfully for several years now. I wouldn't think that pass-through voltage would be that difficult.

Agreed on all counts!

Futaba 7018sb exposed! Basically, shame on Futaba...

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Wow....so plugging the batt into the standard servo port on the Rx worked perfect (no voltage dropouts)....but plugging into the big-assed Deans connectors and bam....problems!!! Yes....shame on Futaba (and I'm a Futaba guy :frown: )