• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Came across this some time ago and don’t remember if I posted it.
Manuals were previously sold but now available for download.
Differences between Poly-Fiber and Ceconite are the chemicals, with Poly products or dopes.

https://www.conaircraft.com/download-manuals
I have the manuals for both and both manuals are somewhat vague as to what the real difference is but experience tells me all I need to know. The fabric itself is basically the same thing, the rest is the process and it can vary greatly depending on the installer. Ceconite is a polyester and so is Polylite, their advertising ownerships is where people have major variations as each proclaims to use their process and only theirs. But they both are the same thing and can be used with any process. Also noteworthy is the weave direction is different but in our app I don't think it matters. I use Polylite because I like Stits paints or coatings.
And yes, there are those whom will argue differently.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
And also from Conair is Star Gloss and states the same "Proprietary vinyl", they are all proprietary vinyl but still vinyl. Now the finishing coats are a bit different as in there is the vinyl, polyurethane, and a few others including water based as well as the original dopes.

WMcNabb

150cc
I have the manuals for both and both manuals are somewhat vague as to what the real difference is but experience tells me all I need to know. The fabric itself is basically the same thing, the rest is the process and it can vary greatly depending on the installer. Ceconite is a polyester and so is Polylite, their advertising ownerships is where people have major variations as each proclaims to use their process and only theirs. But they both are the same thing and can be used with any process. I use Polylite because I like Stits spaints or coatings.
And yes, there are those whom will argue differently.

I’m with you and prefer the Stits over the others.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I forgot to mention that sources like Conair and Aircraft spruce are full scale specific whereas Stits does have full scale but also has the hobby grade. One also needs to consider the surface the coating is going over, stiff or solid versus flexible. Some of the urethanes, enamels, Lacquer, etc. is not flex friendly.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
And if I get long winded on the keyboard I do apologize, and if in my attempt to explain what I believe to be offends anyone.
I just don't want anyone to get sideways for trying any method I mention by way of not fully understanding and getting something they thought was the same. For example, there is a polyester fabric identical to what I use but with a coating and most paints won't stick to it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Wish you did not say it was not good for 3D. All my planes have always been painted started with dope and then discovered Stits and never looked back. But I am into 3D right now all my planes are plastic covered and do not like it, much prefer cloth and Stits.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Wish you did not say it was not good for 3D. All my planes have always been painted started with dope and then discovered Stits and never looked back. But I am into 3D right now all my planes are plastic covered and do not like it, much prefer cloth and Stits.
I say that cause most whom do 3D want nothing but light as possible. I personally don't think the weight gain is enough to think anything over. As you see I am doing the Challenger with it and I can say I probably won't know the difference. I might put together a sample patch (maybe 12" square) while I am at it and see how it compares.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I say that cause most whom do 3D want nothing but light as possible. I personally don't think the weight gain is enough to think anything over. As you see I am doing the Challenger with it and I can say I probably won't know the difference. I might put together a sample patch (maybe 12" square) while I am at it and see how it compares.
That will be very interesting to know.

WMcNabb

150cc
And if I get long winded on the keyboard I do apologize, and if in my attempt to explain what I believe to be offends anyone.
I just don't want anyone to get sideways for trying any method I mention by way of not fully understanding and getting something they thought was the same. For example, there is a polyester fabric identical to what I use but with a coating and most paints won't stick to it.

The fabric I’ve always used is the lightweight version of Poly-Fiber fabric, called Poly Lite fabric, available through F&M Enterprises:
https://www.stits.com/store/poly-lite-fabric-priced-per-linear-yard.html

In fact, all my Poly-Fiber supplies are ordered from F&M. Great service!

I’ve been debating Poly-Fiber versus Ultracote for the Python 100, and just can’t make up my mind.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The fabric I’ve always used is the lightweight version of Poly-Fiber fabric, called Poly Lite fabric, available through F&M Enterprises:
https://www.stits.com/store/poly-lite-fabric-priced-per-linear-yard.html

In fact, all my Poly-Fiber supplies are ordered from F&M. Great service!
I did not know there was anywhere else!! Agreed, the best service. Back many years ago when I started with it they were instrumental in getting me going. Every time I called one of there installers would talk me through what ever I was looking to do. Don't get any better than that.