• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
By the way, my shop arrived this evening and is set up nice and level. Tomorrow I will start with installing the electrical.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The electrical has been installed. The supply line will be done here shortly then tomorrow, or maybe later this evening, I will go and get the insulation and drywall.

Attachments

• P1080293.JPG
    P1080293.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 221

Jaketab

50cc
Questions regarding the upper wing of the 58% Pitts in the following 2 posts.
1. The plan appears to show a doubling of the 1st root rib. The outer rib appears as if it's a cap on the end of the wing.
Is the end rib made up from balsa scrap to cap the root rib to provide an area to sand and plane to set the joining angle of the upper left and right wings. ????????

Attachments

• DSCF4091.JPG
    DSCF4091.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF4092.JPG
    DSCF4092.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 213

Jaketab

50cc
2. This question concerns ribs 1 - 3.
The web spacer for rear spar of the upper wing bridges ribs 1-3. The spacer is 3mm thicker at rib 1 then it is at rib 3.
The web spacers (2) for the leading spar are a 2mm taper beginning at rib 3 down to rib 1.
In order to keep ribs 1-3 at a right angle and keep the wing tube parallel to the building table, it appears that the spar beams need to be unpinned from the building rails when installing ribs 1-3 ?????? Can you tell me if this is the correct procedure.
If this is correct, it appears that ribs and web spars 4 - 11 need to be glued first and then the remaining rib 1 - 3. ????

Thanks - Jaketab

Attachments

• DSCF4093.JPG
    DSCF4093.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF4094.JPG
    DSCF4094.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 227

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I assume this tapering is to give the center section a more normal look instead of appearing to have a hump in the middle. The center section is not swept so this tapering is to accommodate the difference of the given the point in the ribs.

Last edited:

Jaketab

50cc
Thanks Robert,
Sometimes need a little assurance. Very hard to undo mistakes.
So it would appear that the upper and lower beams between 1 and 3 spars would need to be unpinned from the rails in order to effect the taper and keep the ribs perpendicular to the spar ??? Yes/No ?? This is similar to the taper at the tip end of the wing.
Hard to grasp a picture in my mind that the leading spar at the root will be narrowed slightly and the trailing spar will be in reverse.

Regards - Jaketab

BTW - Hope to do a classic scheme almost like the one pictured.

Attachments

• 487119.jpg
    487119.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 235

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That is correct, the front tapers and the rear widens. In the pic the black line represents a straight edge across the mid section, the red indicates direction of the spar, they are tapering the spar so the center section remains level with the intersection of the spar and center section of wing. The rear is in effect reverse so as to bring the spar up to the thicker section of the center wing.

Attachments

• page 2 - Copy.jpg
    page 2 - Copy.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 207

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The supply line managed to work it's way to today, but, it is done. I also picked up the other stuff and hope to start installing tomorrow. I really, really, did I mention really!!!, need my shop. Not having anywhere to work on anything sure does suck.......

I would not splice them. If it were me I would try soaking overnight, alcohol works real well if you can make a tube for it. And if those do not feel right I would pick up some Poplar and cut new ones.

How much alcohol do you need to drink before they look straight?