• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Recent relocate in eastern Tennessee

Larry B

70cc twin V2
BalsaDust,
The SE5 makes for a great flying model, a good big nose to hide an engine in and plenty of wing area. We will keep an eye out for your build thread when you decide to start cutting up the wood.
With the winter weather setting in building season is upon us!

Larry B;)

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What's up @Doc? Sorry, I couldn't resist. . . . . :laughing:

It is great to have you and @Dowmer both on here. . . . . . . :yesss: Robert is right, it is awesome to have more scale builders on this site. The vibe here is a little more relaxed than it is over at RCSB, but the members here are just as willing to help out a fellow member.

David

BalsaDust

BalsaDust,
The SE5 makes for a great flying model, a good big nose to hide an engine in and plenty of wing area. We will keep an eye out for your build thread when you decide to start cutting up the wood.
With the winter weather setting in building season is upon us!

Larry B;)

Yeah I like the looks of it and the one thing I have noticed with some of the locals who have WWI birds if they still end up needing nose wieght so why not go with a plane that has a longer nose so as not to need to add extra weight. I have a DLE20 but plan to mount it on a 3D slab (you will notice I have a thing for slabs) so I'm thinking of picking a Zenoha G23 or G26 for it. No need in having lots of power on something like this.

Doc

50cc
geezer.jpg
geezer.jpg
geezer.jpg By all means get into a WWI build, a word of advice, WWI models are a lot like potato chips, it's hard to have only one. I have a 1/4 scale SE 5a and it requires more power that one would suspect to fly well. A well broken in G38 or G 45 is nice depending on the amount of detail added. Mine weighs 23 1/2 lb and has lots (of detail). lol The airplane in my avatar is a 1/3 scale N28, weighs 38 1/2 lb and uses a DA100.
Doc
Yeah I like the looks of it and the one thing I have noticed with some of the locals who have WWI birds if they still end up needing nose wieght so why not go with a plane that has a longer nose so as not to need to add extra weight. I have a DLE20 but plan to mount it on a 3D slab (you will notice I have a thing for slabs) so I'm thinking of picking a Zenoha G23 or G26 for it. No need in having lots of power on something like this.
A 23 or 26 will do for a 1/5 scale, if you're going 1/4 you'll need more. I have a couple of pounds of lead under the hood of me SE 5a as well as having a G38 . I will say I put rudder and elevator and skid servos under the seat rather than further forward so there weren't any control rods going through the cockpit which is completed for a full body pilot.
Doc

BalsaDust

These are the plans I have found that I'm thinking of building from. Nick Ziroli plans so they should be good to build from.

Doc

50cc
That's right at 1/6 scale, 20cc might be a lot, that would prolly fly well on a 65 or 71 four stroke. I have a 1/6 scale N28 framed up that I built VERY light and will fly it with an OS 40 Surpass 4 stroke, it'll only weigh about 4 1/2 lbs, its also 53" span.
Doc