• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Recent relocate in eastern Tennessee

BalsaDust

Who knows really. The link says his weighed 8lbs and he flew it with a 61 two stroke. I have my dle 20 currently on a 8-1/2lb plane and its a touch anemic but it is also a 3D slab that I like ballistic power. Kinda why I'm thinking a G23 as its not going to make the power a DLE20 will make.

Larry B

70cc twin V2
I checked out the plans, it looks like it would be a great flying airplane. Aren't there a whole bunch of new small gas engines that are on the market? If you want to go with gas instead of glow there has to be a perfect little engine out there.
I would think something with the equivalent power of a .60 or .70 glow two stroke would be more than enough to fly it.

BalsaDust

Maybe so. I have a saito 100 and os 120 surpass nitro engines but to me on a scale plane it needs to be gas or electric. Got to imagine it's tough to clean nitro off of a fabric surface. I have found a couple other sets of SE5 plans that I like even more than these but they all have under cambered airfoils and I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to cover that.

Flying buddy of mine has this bird with a CRCC26 on the nose and it flys it great.

Doc

50cc
You may be right about the DLE 20 being stronger than an old G23. I have a G23 on a 1/4 N28 (you may start to get the idea I like the N28 about here) that weighs 16.5 lb and it's got plenty to fly good and will loop from level but just. The 1/3 N28 with the DA 100 does anything including accelerating straight up. I have a friend who flys an F7F with 2 of the 20s on it and I don't need to tell you it's a hot rod.
Doc

Doc

50cc
I run an 18 X 6 on the 23 in the 1/4 N28, turns it right at 7 grand. It's well broken in with over 25 hours of operation. Of course these industrial conversions that the Zen engines are really run best after about 50 hours. Properly lubricated and cooled I don't think you can wear one out lol
Doc

BalsaDust

I guess my question about the 23 is how wide is the engine? Looking at the plans for this the fuse is only about 5-1/2" wide. I don't mind the velocity stack sticking out the side of the cowl but I certainly don't want the muffler hanging out as well. Maybe I should scale the plane up by about 15% or so

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @Doc, your big N28 looks AMAZING . . . . . . :yesss: I want to build a WW1 bird one day too. I have always liked the Albatross and BUSA's big one is amazing. The only problem is that it is WAY above my building skill level. . . . . :frown:. I also like the Fokker D7, but I'm afraid I would have the same problem with it. It looks like I need to do some building doesn't it. . . . . :laughing: