• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Splitting Cowls made easy

Terry, I just came across this thread, and wow, is all I can say. You have demonstrated something I have always considered but had no clue how to do. Thank you very much for this.!!!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I am very happy with how mine is coming out. I have the pipes cut out and so nice to have just two holes instead of the long slot. I still need to open the cutout for the plug cap more but taking it slow to not open up more than needed. When I laser cut the tabs I make a couple more to make up the bottom cowl top left and right additional tabs with a T-Nut in the firewall. Very secure.

Many thanks to Terry for this inspirational thread.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Many thanks to Terry for this inspirational thread.

That's an understatement. The cowl for the 89" Slick is a total PITA for me. I'm going to split my cowl soon and even put the blind nuts on the inside of the fuse so that I can get it on and off easier. Plus most of the time I'd just need to remove the lower half anyways.

I'm wondering what the weight penalty between a one piece and a split cowl would be? Weight of; resin, cloth, screws, washers, blind nuts, ply-tabs, etc... I'm sure a few grams maybe?

I'm the first to admit my last plane has some extra weight which I could have saved on, but simply curious.

I'm wondering what the weight penalty between a one piece and a split cowl would be? Weight of; resin, cloth, screws, washers, blind nuts, ply-tabs, etc... I'm sure a few grams maybe?

I'm the first to admit my last plane has some extra weight which I could have saved on, but simply curious.
I am totally going to do this. Now I just need someone's cowl to play the pig.