• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Splitting Cowls made easy

Ok I think Im going to try, AFTER I buy a backup cowl. Just so Im on the right page

1. Cut the cowl per the instructions
2. Electrical tape and PAM on the inside of the upper half
3. Buy the fiberglass tape from Fiberglast.com in 1" size
4. Buy the following resin...will one box of this be enough? Do I just mix it 50/50?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXCX58&P=8
5. Glass with just a wet amount. Terry I noticed that it appeared you put some resin on the inside of the cowl prior to putting in the "wetted" tape down?
6. Separate and clean
7. Follow mounting procedures

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I do not put resin in the cowl first, just wet the resin, leave a little as you squeegee it with your fingers and blot the excess after putting it in. I don't use that particular resin but I believe it is 50/50 per most zap products.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Are the screws prone to loosen on the split cowl? What about the use of washers, o-rings or loctite, is this necessary?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Like this.

Viper 270 002.JPG

sweetpea

100cc
I put a dab of blue Loctite and the bonded washers.....overkill but I only take my cowl off if there is an engine issue or at the end of a season to clean things up and go over everything.