• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

AKfreak

150cc
Hey, contact Yong at Rcjetsworld.com. He should gave the gear your looking for, and cheap with cheap shipping. They aren't custom, but the should work I bought a set for my Extra and they are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey did you ever see this. Ouch!
[video=youtube_share;hoZD9pczEVs]http://youtu.be/hoZD9pczEVs[/video]

Looks like the air boss lost a little communication and control of the situation. Dead line looked pretty close to the runway also for full scale traffic. Too bad but good no one was hurt. The RC pilot seemed to be shaken up about the potential harm to the biplane pilot. Pretty good attitude considering.

AKfreak

150cc
Today I was at the VIVA LAS VEGAS IMAC 2014 event. There was a raffle, and my girls bought 10 tickets. We won Five times. (my kid are super lucky). We won 2 Xoar props a 22x8 and a 22x10 (perfect for my DA-50). We won a Jug of Nitro fuel, its cool because I bought 2 COX motors for a control line project for my girls. We won a cool little Fuel dot. We also won a 20% off gift certificate for Smart Fly.
15018516143_c0258c8ae0_b.jpg

15017944114_1df7a86fb8_b.jpg

If any one of you guys here are planing on buying a Smart Fly board any time soon, the girls and I would love to donate this gift certificate to you.

15638694835_1cd6d8b547_b.jpg

Also my buddy Josh had to go retrieve a 42% J-Tech out of the lake behind the field. The planes owner had to go buy a raft so my buddy Josh could go get the carcass. He got the plane and saved the DA 170. teh Smart fly board, and all the servos and linkages. The plane had a complete wing failure. What a bad deal.

I for one am not ready for I-Mac. Well I was until I learned you have to fly your pattern with multiple planes in the air at the same time. After I saw 40% Cardens with DA-200 flying the Basic routine, I felt a little out classed. The guy who won basic, had already won 1st place in Basic at sanctioned Imac events like 4 to 5 times in a row (so I hear). After today, they forced him to move up in class. To me winning like thjat is like a grown man going to a kindergarten and competing in a spelling test. I don't know, it seemed a little out of line. The basic class was ful of what appeared to be old pros. One of our locals has been doing basic for 6 years (42% Aeroworks). Its a little unnerving for people like me who fly entry level stuff and are Green as the spring grass to enter and learn to fly Imac. Heck maybe next year.

15452046849_2bcdc0ba26_b.jpg

There were so many cool planes there. A 35% PAU edge 540 that I almost pulled the trigger on like 5 times was there. WOW it was nice, I particularly like the way the aileron servos attach to fly board. What are this plugs called, and are they reliable? That would save from messing with extensions and servo clips.

15452712647_ef3370df12_b.jpg

15452854848_6dabc912b7_b.jpg

Look how slick these inlets are. Looks like Full scale meets RC. Beautiful work on a Carden Pro Extra with a DA-200. There were so many incredible planes, and I wanted one of each, ;)

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Some observations from an old guy that's been around the hobby for a while....

Take any plane you want, and fly basic with it, and don't worry about what others are flying or what's up with a guy who would rather win basic five times than compete in Sportsman. I never understood that either but you have to expect it.

The events are fun, and it's more about the social thing than competing. I can tell that you had a good time, so don't pass up the experience if you can afford it. It ain't cheap, but if you are into it, it's no different than a hardcore boating or golf addiction.

40% planes have an advantage, they say, because they present better in the air to the judges. But IMO, the judges will give the advantage to the guys that have invested the most time, money, and effort, into the sport/hobby.

The MXS you have now, with a low rate mix, will be a great plane to get involved with. The 78 Extra is another -- less expensive and time consuming to build than giant scale planes, easy to power and transport, and a great plane to learn and practice with.

Practicing the sequences is actually fun and will definitely make you a better pilot. The trick is to pick the right plane, make it your IMAC plane, and focus on that plane all the time, during practice. Switching planes all the time makes it tough to get really good, really fast.

As popular as 3D is today, a good sequence pilot still gets more respect from more people in the hobby. Jesky, Leseberg, Somenzini, Hyde, Shulman... they all made a name for themselves in TOC and IMAC.

Freestyle has some 3D, but is mostly big sky XA, and that's what judges look for. So there may be a chankshaft thrown into the routine, but it's at the top of a big rolling loop, for example.

Most serious IMAC guys used to build their own planes from kits... Carden and Godfrey Extra 300's were the top shelf planes, and Dalton is another. The advantage of a kit is that you can make modifications to suit your flying, if you know what you're doing.

PAU makes some nice ARFs for IMAC, but the big Extreme Flight Extra 300 would be my first ARF choice. A really solid competitor.

Take this as simply my opinion, because you will find that everyone involved with IMAC has one :cool:

Oh, and if you watch the video of Joe S flying the custom Carden Edge, I think you may see something interesting. I won't say what, but check it out and remember it's the first time he flew it.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Not sure what I'm looking for... what stood out to me was how it winds up in tumbling moves without a lot of speed going into them. Pitch authority was crazy as well.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
A few things that struck me immediately, after watching a lot of Cardens, Godfreys, and Daltons fly...

First, these plane typically fly 'on the wing' a little longer than most ARFs. Since Joe loves putting planes into a powered stall maneuver, another differentiation is how the plane "flew" out of the stall. Remember that this is a 43% airplane with a 180cc engine, that is still only 38 pounds. The Godfreys, too, were supposed to come in at 36 pounds with the DA-150 and 170 if you built them right -- and that's a 126 inch wingspan. But the plane wants desperately to fly, and fly a straight line, and will actually do so on it's own when you neutral the controls, regardless of the airspeed. It doesn't need weight for penetration or correction through momentum, and with fewer bad habits, the pilot can focus on their own bad habits, and improvement comes quickly. For most of these planes, it's all about the wing design, not the wing area, and this one is a good one. Some credit needs to go to the builder too, because he knew what he was doing.

I really became disconnected from this part of the hobby over the last four or five years, and don't think I'll ever go back, but I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into building a really competitive IMAC airplane.