• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Forgotten Extra, The Extra 230

Komet163

50cc
I know I'm dating myself but this was always one of my favorites growing up. Phil Kraft Super Fli

Attachments

• kraft super fli pic 2.jpg
    kraft super fli pic 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 370

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I love me some forgotten planes. The Panzel, Stadaucher, the One Design, Dr-109, Extra 230.. ALL pretty darn cool. Heck the Giles was awesome!
Ah yeah...the Stadaucher. My long time friend and the one responsible for my addiction always had the coolest planes, motors and hardware. Moki radials, Comp Arf P47 and Corsair, and of course a really cool Stadaucher. Oh man, those were the days.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My long time friend and the one responsible for my addiction always had the coolest planes, motors and hardware. Moki radials, Comp Arf P47 and Corsair, and of course a really cool Stadaucher. Oh man, those were the days.
I know exactly what you mean. My buddy Tony, the one that owned the Ace Extra 230 in the first post is the one that got me into flying and he always had the cool stuff as well.

I was messing with helicopters a little in 1985 because Tony got me interested in them. When he bought a plane I went to watch him fly and after a week he was already flying around having fun. I was still in my backyard trying to hover a helicopter with no gyro and mechanical collective. After seeing how far he had progressed in one week I went to the hobby shop and traded my Mini Boy heli for a Super Box Fly 40. By the next weekend I was at the flying field and Tony was teaching me to fly on a buddy box. The FOGs at the field really hated that, but couldn't find any rule against it at the time so all they could do was whine. I think they were really mad because he taught me how to fly in 2 days. But honestly after hovering a stone age helicopter, flying a trainer was a breeze!

Tony had all the cool stuff, and was a great builder. He had a really cool Byron P-51 with the belt driven four blade prop, a BVM Sport Shark ducted fan in about 1988. Those were way ahead of their time. He also had other cool stuff including a few other BVM airplanes and was on BVM's builder list for awhile. He quit flying when he had kids. After a bit I wasn't having fun anymore without a buddy to share it with so I quit as well. In 2005 he started flying again and tried to get me in as well, but I didn't. He would come by once in awhile and tell me about his planes, but it wasn't until 2011 that he got me hooked again. He called and wanted me to do some painting on his Carf 3 meter Su-31. I worked on it over 4th of July weekend and after staring at the thing for days and it's DA200, I was interested. He got me to the field and let me fly his smaller 33% Sukhoi with a DA85 and I was hooked.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I know I'm dating myself but this was always one of my favorites growing up. Phil Kraft Super Fli

Hey @Komet163,

Don't worry about dating yourself. There's plenty of Ole Geezers around here that are older than you or I, either one............ :lol2:. BTW, I like the Super Fli too.

Speaking of great flying old turds, how many of you flew the old 27% Midwest Extra 300? I bought one already built with a 3W60 in it (no joke). One of the dumbest things I did was take the 3W out of it and put an OS 160 glow on it. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when I temporarily lost my job a few years ago, but I kept the 3W. I sold to a fellow club member and did the re-maiden for him after the motor swap. The plane flew pretty well for a tank, but the plane had a short life after that. The guy I sold it to tried to turn it back into a kit a couple of months later.

capthis

70cc twin V2
Jet painter, Love the old Extra 230 photos. My flying buddy had one years ago with a BME 44 on it. It was heavy but I remember it being a lot of fun to fly. Giving serious consideration to scratching one out. I have the plans, and as of just a little bit ago the construction article and the kit instructions! Have to give it a lot of updates to lighten it up and make it a little more modern. Lots and lots of ply in that one!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Jet painter, Love the old Extra 230 photos. My flying buddy had one years ago with a BME 44 on it. It was heavy but I remember it being a lot of fun to fly. Giving serious consideration to scratching one out. I have the plans, and as of just a little bit ago the construction article and the kit instructions! Have to give it a lot of updates to lighten it up and make it a little more modern. Lots and lots of ply in that one!
I have the 30% Ace kit at home, as well as the original Sachs 3.2 that was in my friends. It's kind of a "one of these days" project, but I think I'd put one of my DA50's in it instead of the Sachs. With a fuselage redesign to lighten it up MANY pounds it would be a cool airplane.;)

capthis

70cc twin V2
Good to know in case for some reason a piece I need to cut isn't on the plans! :)

I really need to finish up my Ultra Hots, and about 2 dozen other projects but I do think I'm gonna start cutting a kit for the Extra 230 soon. it's winter time building season anyway! :)