• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm at our field one day watching the clubs best 3D guy Ryan Mowry doing low rolling harrier circles and one of the club know it alls starts telling me "well that's good and all, but you know those guys always roll the same direction". My reply was "well Glen if you notice he's changing the roll direction every 1/4 of the circle". I think it was the first time he didn't have a smart comment.;)

Every time I see the guy fly I want to put my planes in a pile, pour my leftover fuel on them and toss in a match.
Sometimes you run across people like that. There have been times that this person, or that person will walk up to me and say, "You know, If you did "such and such", or "you're doing this or you're doing that wrong".... But it's these guys that are flying little glow planes in race track patterns and little foamies. And they have no clue what this type of flying is all about. Not that there is anything wrong with little glows or little foamies. Just that it seems everyone that has never done this type of flying has to put their two cents worth in. I just smile and say, "Yeah...I bet you're right, I will try that next time" and I walk away with a smile on my face. There was one such guy that showed up today and watched while I "ATTEMPTED" those rolling circles with the Sukhoi. Of course he had to open his pie hole. Oh but wait, Where was his plane? Did he come to fly? I've seen videos of some of you guys here on GSN flying. And even videos of some of the bigger names like Gabby and Kyle just to name a couple. I feel so un-worthy and want to toss my tx. as far as I can, walk over and kick my planes. LOL. But then I remember, I am having fun and I may not be even 1/10th as good as some of you guys. Doesn't matter....at the end of the day, I came, I flew, I went home happy with a warming glow inside. And that's all I need in my small little world. LOL.
One other top notch flyer I learned some great 3D tips from is Garret Morrison, I met him at the Rally of the Giants at Gillette Wyo. Watch Him torque roll his 150cc Yak just inches off the Deck for over a minute or two was awesome. My 11 ft. Australian Nomad , that I dropped 4 huge Skydivers from, and built by Bob Chitwood from Gillette Wyo. and rebuilt and recovered by myself and a close friend was one of the featured planes in the Rally of the Giants 2001View attachment 16022 View attachment 16023 The Australian Nomad with the four Radio controlled Sky Divers weighed in at 38 lb. Each Sky diver had two tether lines, one to arm the receiver, and one to open the chute. We let the kids in the stand draw numbers from a hat to see you got to control the Sky Divers on the way down. Also used it to drop candy 12lbs. of candy and each piece had a colored 6" crate paper ribbon hot glued to it. When droped it looked like a multi colored slurry drop, and made the candy easier to find out in the field LOL!!! I just love to fly and am always trying to improve my skills. I am not the best nor am I the worst, just love to fly:yesss:
That's freaking awesome! I love stories like this. Kids and candy and planes. I'm smilin'!!!!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Having fun is what it's all about. There always seem to be a few that want to rain on someone's parade. I guess every club has them. Or the club know it all that everyone takes advice from and is looked upon like a god and you can never figure out why.

Thankfully there are also the good guys that make your day fun. I find most all of the guys that fly gas at our field fall into that category. And if your lucky, you get a guy that's just a joy to watch fly. I will never be that good, but as long as I'm learning, getting better, and having fun, that's all I need.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Luckily at our club there isn't a lot of uninvited advice. When I fly on the morning side folks are always amazed at how good giant scale planes fly. Last time out on of the older gentlemen that's been flying there longer than me came over and actually said "those things are probably a lot easier to fly than the junk we fly isn't it?"

I've offered lots of times to buddy box a few of them on any of my planes, everyone is scared even with a buddy box. I've never had one taker from that particular crowd. At a huckfest......different story.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Sometimes you run across people like that. There have been times that this person, or that person will walk up to me and say, "You know, If you did "such and such", or "you're doing this or you're doing that wrong".... But it's these guys that are flying little glow planes in race track patterns and little foamies. And they have no clue what this type of flying is all about. Not that there is anything wrong with little glows or little foamies. Just that it seems everyone that has never done this type of flying has to put their two cents worth in. I just smile and say, "Yeah...I bet you're right, I will try that next time" and I walk away with a smile on my face. There was one such guy that showed up today and watched while I "ATTEMPTED" those rolling circles with the Sukhoi. Of course he had to open his pie hole. Oh but wait, Where was his plane? Did he come to fly? I've seen videos of some of you guys here on GSN flying. And even videos of some of the bigger names like Gabby and Kyle just to name a couple. I feel so un-worthy and want to toss my tx. as far as I can, walk over and kick my planes. LOL. But then I remember, I am having fun and I may not be even 1/10th as good as some of you guys. Doesn't matter....at the end of the day, I came, I flew, I went home happy with a warming glow inside. And that's all I need in my small little world. LOL.

That's freaking awesome! I love stories like this. Kids and candy and planes. I'm smilin'!!!!

I had the peanut gallery chime in the other day. Did a WOT knife edge pass with the Yak and all I heard behind me was "That's adorable, it would have sounded better with gas!" (it's electric). I started doing rolling loops and cubans and didn't hear much else from them from the rest of the flight...... :spongebob:

I keep watching videos of Kyle fly and it just makes me want to work harder on honing my stall speed skills. I can't manage to get any lower than about eye level at the lowest, every nerve in my thumbs is screaming DON'T DO IT YOU IDIOT while my brain just keeps going LOWER!!!

thurmma

150cc
I can't manage to get any lower than about eye level at the lowest, every nerve in my thumbs is screaming DON'T DO IT YOU IDIOT while my brain just keeps going LOWER!!!
I am just now getting a hover below 15 feet and that is about the real extent of my 'huckin'. I do like to fly the slow knife edge passes, but they are still above 20 feet off the deck. I do try from time to time the beginning parts of a rolling harrier, but chicken out when it gets a little squirrely :)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Horrible wind and rain all weekend, but it finally cleared out and this morning is sunny and no wind! Got the truck loaded and headed out the door! Thankful for spring break, a week of flying will get me prepared to get through the next 3 months!

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Luckily at our club there isn't a lot of uninvited advice. When I fly on the morning side folks are always amazed at how good giant scale planes fly. Last time out on of the older gentlemen that's been flying there longer than me came over and actually said "those things are probably a lot easier to fly than the junk we fly isn't it?"

I've offered lots of times to buddy box a few of them on any of my planes, everyone is scared even with a buddy box. I've never had one taker from that particular crowd. At a huckfest......different story.
I do not consider Any ones planes JUNK. We all take pride in what we build and fly. From Peanut scale to Giant scale. You are right about every club having a few that look down their noses about small planes, and we all have the ones that know everything but seldom Fly. We have a couple clubs around here like that. They look down at people that fly little planes. They wander why Our club is growing and they have a very hard time getting people to join at all. I despise people like this. Every one has a little different like when it comes to what they fly. I look at it this way just fly what you like as long as everyone has fun. That's what it all about.

Yakman

70cc twin V2
I am just now getting a hover below 15 feet and that is about the real extent of my 'huckin'. I do like to fly the slow knife edge passes, but they are still above 20 feet off the deck. I do try from time to time the beginning parts of a rolling harrier, but chicken out when it gets a little squirrely :)
I'm with you on this stle of flying. Having fun anyway.