• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool The I'm going out flying thread 2017

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not fly in the winter that much anymore, did last winter just once but hope get more in this winter. Believe it or not but some of my best flying has been in the winter, but you must have zero wind and bright sunny sky. That is some of the best flying. One thing that I am afraid of is my liquid screen on the radio I have had some difficulty with one many years back so I have been some what apprehensive. How does your radio stand up to the cold.
One thing that I can tell you is when it really gets cold epoxy on firewalls do not work they fall off , all of us discovered that we had to use wood glue on our winter planes.

Some of the best flying days for me are winter as well.
I have a certain criteria for different planes when it comes to weather as do most of us I'd imagine. No wind with the sun out is definitely the key. One thing that helps with the radio and lipos is to leave them in the truck with the heater on until you are ready to use them. I've put hand warmers in the radio case as well.
I've never noticed the epoxy issue, but most of us are flying electrics and nitro in the winter.
What ever it takes to have some fun and wiggle the sticks.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Some of the best flying days for me are winter as well.
I have a certain criteria for different planes when it comes to weather as do most of us I'd imagine. No wind with the sun out is definitely the key. One thing that helps with the radio and lipos is to leave them in the truck with the heater on until you are ready to use them. I've put hand warmers in the radio case as well.
I've never noticed the epoxy issue, but most of us are flying electrics and nitro in the winter.
What ever it takes to have some fun and wiggle the sticks.

All my flying is with nitro have never had the chance to fly electric in the winter I can see that the cold can have quite the effect on a battery. Have to tell you this one when flying in the winter with nitro it is fun but we were so busy fly and I was not paying attention to the plane, we found that it was necessary every couple flights we would wipe the elevator and rudder down, well this time I had forgotten to do this, after a number of flights the elevator froze with all the fuel and oil on it and I lost the plane. At the time we were using castor oil not good in the winter .

ericrs

70cc twin V2
I finally was able to get out and fly this afternoon. Its been way to long, but anyway it was a really nice day got to about 66 F and maybe 5 mph wind. I limbered up the fingers on my faithful 30% PAU Extra. It was then time to maiden the Viper. I somehow messed up when I balanced it, because when I took off I instantly realized it was Very tail heavy. Extremely pitch sensitive. Good thing is that I was able to get it down without a scratch. That being said I will have to say I am very impressed with the performance of the DA 100L, I made a few laps before I landed. It took no aileron trim at all. After I get the balance thing sorted out, I will defiantly have a keeper. It was a good day because I got some flying in and brought the planes home in one piece:D

Attachments

• 2017-11-20 16.22.42.jpg
    2017-11-20 16.22.42.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 244
  • 2017-11-20 16.23.41.jpg
    2017-11-20 16.23.41.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 270

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I finally was able to get out and fly this afternoon. Its been way to long, but anyway it was a really nice day got to about 66 F and maybe 5 mph wind. I limbered up the fingers on my faithful 30% PAU Extra. It was then time to maiden the Viper. I somehow messed up when I balanced it, because when I took off I instantly realized it was Very tail heavy. Extremely pitch sensitive. Good thing is that I was able to get it down without a scratch. That being said I will have to say I am very impressed with the performance of the DA 100L, I made a few laps before I landed. It took no aileron trim at all. After I get the balance thing sorted out, I will defiantly have a keeper. It was a good day because I got some flying in and brought the planes home in one piece:D
I enjoy a good report as there are too many bad ones. Glad you had a great day and the planes came home in one piece.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

Great to hear you got to fly the plane and that you are pleased with it you beat me into the air. Let me know where you ended up balancing the the plane. That will make my first flight a little more enjoyable. So when you get set up how you like it be nice to know how it performs compared to the PAU. Good to hear from you.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Flawless day at the field, flew my heart out. One of our warbird guys was there with his new monster monster f-86, the biggest jet I've ever seen. Some 16 year old kid wringing the snot out of an Extreme Flight extra like i haven't seen since Joe Nall. A scratch built 1/3 scale cub that needs to be at a scale masters tournament that I've never seen before. 70 degrees, no clouds or wind. More please!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Flawless day at the field, flew my heart out. One of our warbird guys was there with his new monster monster f-86, the biggest jet I've ever seen. Some 16 year old kid wringing the snot out of an Extreme Flight extra like i haven't seen since Joe Nall. A scratch built 1/3 scale cub that needs to be at a scale masters tournament that I've never seen before. 70 degrees, no clouds or wind. More please!

Here.....let me help you get back to reality.....:msn_slap:.....Now tell us again about your good day flying. That only happens in our dreams:sleeping:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Here.....let me help you get back to reality.....:msn_slap:.....Now tell us again about your good day flying. That only happens in our dreams:sleeping:

My 3W is running like crap. Rpms fine on the ground but sluggish taking off and I was flying around at 1/2 throttle. Can't solve it without getting some help somewhere. Might need to hit up stang flyer for advice. A better day would have it yanking the yak around like a rag doll.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
My 3W is running like crap. Rpms fine on the ground but sluggish taking off and I was flying around at 1/2 throttle. Can't solve it without getting some help somewhere. Might need to hit up stang flyer for advice. A better day would have it yanking the yak around like a rag doll.

Have you re tuned for any weather change??? And speaking of tune maybe a "tune up" is in order. Plugs, Gap, sensor pick up.