• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool The I'm going out flying thread 2017

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Sorry to rain on everyone's good flying day stories fellas, but the following does not have a happy ending.

We had a beautiful weather day today here and my flying Buddy called me to see if I wanted to go to the field. But, as luck would have it, the evil engine gremlins followed my Buddy today. On the second flight of his Pitts S12, the red head twin suddenly went lean at the very worst possible location and quit. Needless to say a bipe with a big round cowl doesn't glide too well and the plane almost made it back to the field but on final turn back towards the short grass, it stalled and that was all she wrote. The Hellcat S12 is no more. . . . . . . :cryin:. I'm not bashing JTEC, but I don't think there is enough wood in the engine box in this kit. Luckily the 3Dub wasn't damaged nor did it break the carbon fiber prop.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
And indeed, we do! Take every opportunity that we can that is . Even though the wind was very minimal this morning, by the time we got to the field it was gusting to 15 almost 18 miles per hour. So maybe a little much for my friends 50cc Pilot Edge, but not so much for my 106cs powered Pilot Edge and most definitely not for the 222cc PAU Edge of my sons. It was kind of fun being able to literally stop my plane in midair and have it just hang there in a picturesque non-moving picture. A little bit of wind sailing and down range blowing torque rolls had me going the whole time. All in all, we had a really good time this morning.
View attachment 100371

To much for a 50cc??? It was 10-15 out of the north constant, gust's pretty strong and little choo choo (26cc) and the Demon (35cc) got it done ;). On landings it was a thriller to watch both planes drop a foot or so from micro wind shear :dancing-poop:. But they were tearing it up skyward. Landings most economical too! Turn around (if you can), kill the engine, and watch your plane magically Taxi back to you without the prop spinin' :D.

Sorry to rain on everyone's good flying day stories fellas, but the following does not have a happy ending.

We had a beautiful weather day today here and my flying Buddy called me to see if I wanted to go to the field. But, as luck would have it, the evil engine gremlins followed my Buddy today. On the second flight of his Pitts S12, the red head twin suddenly went lean at the very worst possible location and quit. Needless to say a bipe with a big round cowl doesn't glide too well and the plane almost made it back to the field but on final turn back towards the short grass, it stalled and that was all she wrote. The Hellcat S12 is no more. . . . . . . :cryin:. I'm not bashing JTEC, but I don't think there is enough wood in the engine box in this kit. Luckily the 3Dub wasn't damaged nor did it break the carbon fiber prop.

Sorry to hear this David. But I guess this weekend had it's toll on the flying side of the RC hobby. Yesterday A DA120 powered AJ Slick 580 bit it hard and bent the Crank. A DLE 120 powered Aero-works Ultimate bit it hard and a DLE 61 powered 3DHS Slick busted up from a DS in a hover.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Dang... sorry to hear that. My condolences to your friend. As for the dead red head? Weird... but happy it lives.

Where's the don't like button?

:frown:
For sure????

To much for a 50cc??? It was 10-15 out of the north constant, gust's pretty strong and little choo choo (26cc) and the Demon (35cc) got it done ;). On landings it was a thriller to watch both planes drop a foot or so from micro wind shear :dancing-poop:. But they were tearing it up skyward. Landings most economical too! Turn around (if you can), kill the engine, and watch your plane magically Taxi back to you without the prop spinin' :D.

Sorry to hear this David. But I guess this weekend had it's toll on the flying side of the RC hobby. Yesterday A DA120 powered AJ Slick 580 bit it hard and bent the Crank. A DLE 120 powered Aero-works Ultimate bit it hard and a DLE 61 powered 3DHS Slick busted up from a DS in a hover.
Well you must understand. Had the 50cc Pilot Edge been mine, it would not have stayed grounded. I tried, but my friend just wasn't hearing it. "Gimmie the sticks, I'll fly it"! Oh well two flown is better than none.
Sad note to so many lost birds. My heart hurts for those that lost the battle of the sucking gravity monster. On the bright side...time for new toys!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to read about all the plane problems and mishaps but remember it is still better than sitting at home with your nose stuck up against the window wanting to go flying.
Question to @Jetpainter on your DA120 you made a modification to the carburetor. You made an air balance tube from the carburetor cap to the inlet of the venture intel, looking at the brass tube is it cut at 45 degrees facing the air coming in. Am I correct. Most of time when I see this solution the tube is run into the fuselage. Why did pick this way looks good and easier to do.​

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to read about all the plane problems and mishaps but remember it is still better than sitting at home with your nose stuck up against the window wanting to go flying.
Question to @Jetpainter on your DA120 you made a modification to the carburetor. You made an air balance tube from the carburetor cap to the inlet of the venture intel, looking at the brass tube is it cut at 45 degrees facing the air coming in. Am I correct. Most of time when I see this solution the tube is run into the fuselage. Why did pick this way looks good and easier to do.​
I found that fix on another site and figured I'd give it a try. I had ordered a new stock style metering cover from a local place that deals in Walbro stuff. They thought they could get it in a few days, but it turned out to be backordered. I could have ordered one from DA, since they usually stock them, but I was afraid of missing a good day mixed in with the lousy weather we were having, so I decided to modify the nice red anodized DA cover instead. I plugged the vent holes that are in the top and bottom and drilled and tapped the center for a brass barbed fitting. The brass tube at the other end is JB Welded into an aluminum bracket I made.

It all turned out looking better than I expected, and seems to work great. At least there was no surging today in the three flights I made. Several of the guys today commented how good it sounded, and it REALLY LOVED the cool dry air. It was just starting to rip the 28 X 9 1/2 in level wide open flight which it's never done before. Cool dry air is awesome for performance.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2

Total ouch!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I found that fix on another site and figured I'd give it a try. I had ordered a new stock style metering cover from a local place that deals in Walbro stuff. They thought they could get it in a few days, but it turned out to be backordered. I could have ordered one from DA, since they usually stock them, but I was afraid of missing a good day mixed in with the lousy weather we were having, so I decided to modify the nice red anodized DA cover instead. I plugged the vent holes that are in the top and bottom and drilled and tapped the center for a brass barbed fitting. The brass tube at the other end is JB Welded into an aluminum bracket I made.

It all turned out looking better than I expected, and seems to work great. At least there was no surging today in the three flights I made. Several of the guys today commented how good it sounded, and it REALLY LOVED the cool dry air. It was just starting to rip the 28 X 9 1/2 in level wide open flight which it's never done before. Cool dry air is awesome for performance.
Thanks for the explanation it does look good but it would have been difficult for me to cut into that nice DA carburetor cover but if it works better then it needs to be bone nice work.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well this is what winter flying is all about. Got up this morning looked outside and it was beautiful clear blue sky, went outside zero wind and I mean zero and the temperature was 3 degrees below freezing. Packed my stuff got everything ready and off to field. Got to the field 5o minutes from home get to the field and there is a steady 10 mph wind blowing off the lake and it was cold and t was like you were standing there With no clothes on. Well got the plane out, put it together and fueled up by this I was frozen. Took a bit to get it going. Then standing behind it to warm the engine up was the icing on the cake. Took off flying was great engine ran like it had an extra couple of horses in it. But then after a few minutes I started looking at my timer to see if it was time to land I still had 7 minutes to go and my hands were frozen and I could hardly feel the stickers. Flew to the end and landed I was so cold did not do anything to the plane just put it in to the van and went home and said I will clean it up at in the warmth of the garage. Only thing good was I got a flight in and it felt good.