• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

A1B049AB-021E-44B5-AAE3-A0F930AD8279.jpeg

I'm embarrassed to say this is what my shop looks like right now which is part of my total lack of motivation to do anything in it.

508099C0-2890-4D14-8F76-C55192B7F71F.jpeg
9E2AB0DC-9727-4FDE-82A8-24EC9CEE155C.jpeg

Happy to say this is where it's all moving too though. Wife wanted to get the basement nice and clean which involves my shop moving from one side to the other. So the past two nights we have gotten this side cleaned as best as possible to start moving my stuff over. The shelves and freezer are only there until there is room in the other half to move it too. My goal is to organize as I move stuff so it's easy to work in after the fact.

Attachments

• B1459836-28C1-4ECD-976B-933E1268ABA6.jpeg
    B1459836-28C1-4ECD-976B-933E1268ABA6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143

BalsaDust

@BalsaDust that is what everyone's shop look's like, if they are normal. Same goes for mine until I need to take a pic that is, then everything gets shoved to the other side, wiped down, and swept!

This is true but mine had never gotten this bad before. There will be pluses and minuses though to this move of my shop.
Only real minus is it will be a slightly smaller space.
benefits though will be a wall added to block it off from the rest of the basement so I can better contain dust, no longer will I have a sharp turn I have to make trying to get larger materials into my shop like full sheets of plywood. Over where the water softener and pressure tank are is my feed out to the well pump which is 220. I plan to tap into that to have a 220 outlet now and can seriously look into a nice table saw now.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok trying something my dad did many years ago when I was maybe 10 or 12 years old. We were in the Congo traveling and we needed a gasket for the land rover which nobody had.
So here goes need some high temp RTV and two pieces of glass and coffee filter material and some wax paper. Coat both sides of the filter material with RTV then add wax paper to both sides and then glass on both sides lay it down and then add some weight to press it nice and flat For a couple of hours. Let’s see what I end up with. Hopefully when it is all said and done I can cut out some nice exhaust gaskets.
Well 2 hours from now it will be opened up see if it all worked and comes apart.
7D84790A-2301-448C-B47A-AC8F8DC68AEE.jpeg

Last edited:

BalsaDust

376FEEE0-9426-4132-82AE-0E789CADC290.jpeg
44E90BCB-5DDE-4BEA-9DF4-67339240773A.jpeg

Good progress made on shop move last night. I think I see my table saw that I had lost. Lol. Thinking in the area I’m moving the shop too that since the water softener, pressure tank, and dehumidifier have to stay there that I’m going to condense them a big. Pressure tank will stay put but water softener will move left between the tank and dehumidifier which will clear up a nice spot to build a dedicated electronics bench area. Think the bench will he built in and use Hardie backer board to protect it and be a place where the lipos charge away from any of the wood framing just in case something ever happens.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 114131 View attachment 114132

Good progress made on shop move last night. I think I see my table saw that I had lost. Lol. Thinking in the area I’m moving the shop too that since the water softener, pressure tank, and dehumidifier have to stay there that I’m going to condense them a big. Pressure tank will stay put but water softener will move left between the tank and dehumidifier which will clear up a nice spot to build a dedicated electronics bench area. Think the bench will he built in and use Hardie backer board to protect it and be a place where the lipos charge away from any of the wood framing just in case something ever happens.
Did you find a lot good stuff you forgot you had.

BalsaDust

Haven’t found anything I forgot I had but found stuff I didn’t know where it was at. I know moving to this new space in the basement I need to do a better job using the 9-1/2’ tall walls. I meen come on not many people can say they have a basement that has that y’all of ceilings. Most I have been in are only like 6-1/2 to 7 foot.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the first gasket making process was a complete failure. Came off the glass ok but no way was the wax paper coming off the RTV. Will try one more time with some different wax paper and see what happens. When I tried to peal the wax paper off I literally split the filter paper in half.