• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got it all assembled and a basic program setup in my radio. I will slowly add to the program to give it all the mixes I would like to have but for now this will work. comes in at 56 ounces which is a bit porky but that's without me adding anything to it other than my rx and the recommended 2200mah 3S lipo. I'm looking forward to getting it in the air next week.View attachment 118074
Keep us informed looks good.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent all day yesterday trying to down load Scorpion software to program the ESC. Failed miserably after many hours, emails to Scorpion, phone calls that never got answered or returned. So I have very expensive ESC that I am not able to program, and not sure what to do now, seriously thinking of just returning it, and getting a standard unit from another supplier.

TonyHallo

150cc
I still have a trainer from the late 80's that I built (minus the wing for some reason). Going to use it again as a trainer for my son but first a new wing. He assembled the wing last year, finally pushing him to finish it. Girlfriend, social life and college next fall means limited time so I'm pushing myself as well.

Anyway, here's his first monocote job underway.

Really, Girlfriend, social life and college and you expect him to cover a wing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WMcNabb

150cc
Spent all day yesterday trying to down load Scorpion software to program the ESC. Failed miserably after many hours, emails to Scorpion, phone calls that never got answered or returned. So I have very expensive ESC that I am not able to program, and not sure what to do now, seriously thinking of just returning it, and getting a standard unit from another supplier.

Really disappointed to read this, as I had considered this brand for my first giant scale electric.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Really disappointed to read this, as I had considered this brand for my first giant scale electric.
Still working on it and still no help and or reply, and still cannot get the software to load up. Very frustrated.
Tried several different ways and different computers and still no success.

BalsaDust

bottom-2.jpg

Added some Orange to the bottom of the big glider to make it stand out a bit more. Actually tempted though to paint the entire bottom of it black so it stands out really well.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 118077

Added some Orange to the bottom of the big glider to make it stand out a bit more. Actually tempted though to paint the entire bottom of it black so it stands out really well.
Nah, keep it light! I like it! I'm really curious on how this puppy flies. There are a few spots I'd like to try gliding at that are risky/coastal/high tree density that I'd like to scout out with an electric glider first.

BalsaDust

Nah, keep it light! I like it! I'm really curious on how this puppy flies. There are a few spots I'd like to try gliding at that are risky/coastal/high tree density that I'd like to scout out with an electric glider first.

I flew it today and it fly's awesome. I will be painting the bottom black I think. even with the blaze orange I put on it when you're way up there it all blended in and was hard to tell what way was what.

My opinion on the plane. Worth every bit of the $140 price tag. It is a bit heavy but it signaled lift really well and was easy to keep it in a thermal once you found it. My opinion is it could stand to have a little more power for climb out as it can't keep a steep climb angle like a DLG but its adequate. I only flew it once today but I ran the motor for a 10 second climb and killed power. Kept it in the air for 10 minutes after that only coming down because the sun came out and I didn't have sun glasses on.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I flew it today and it fly's awesome. I will be painting the bottom black I think. even with the blaze orange I put on it when you're way up there it all blended in and was hard to tell what way was what.

My opinion on the plane. Worth every bit of the $140 price tag. It is a bit heavy but it signaled lift really well and was easy to keep it in a thermal once you found it. My opinion is it could stand to have a little more power for climb out as it can't keep a steep climb angle like a DLG but its adequate. I only flew it once today but I ran the motor for a 10 second climb and killed power. Kept it in the air for 10 minutes after that only coming down because the sun came out and I didn't have sun glasses on.

The black should break it up nicely. even with some squares like a lot of the 3D ships have would be beneficial. I wonder if it'll handle a 4S battery? It's hard to beat the sticker price.

BalsaDust

The black should break it up nicely. even with some squares like a lot of the 3D ships have would be beneficial. I wonder if it'll handle a 4S battery? It's hard to beat the sticker price.

In the RCGroups thread on in many have upgraded the motor to the one that comes in their ASW28 and then run 4S turning a bigger prop. I need to get my watt meter out and see what its pulling. If I could manage to turn a slightly bigger prop on the same battery I think that would do it. It's heavy enough as is so don't really want to add a heavier battery.

If your looking for a glider hobby king also has their ASW28 for $130. I have read it flies well also. Has a nice scale look as well with pilot figure included.

Last edited: