• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I tried doing some tuning on my GP61 today because I wasn't all that happy with how it sounded last weekend. I had a bit of trouble getting it to pop on the choke like it hadn't been run in months. The needle adjustment on it has been odd since the first time I tuned it. I ended up with the low at 2 3/8 and the high just a bit over one. That's way off of the 1 1/2 they're both supposed to be. It's always run well in the past at those odd setting.

Today I tried to start from scratch at 1 1/2 on each, but ended up right back at 2 3/8 on the low and 1 on the high. I'm going to pull it all apart and take a peak in the carb and see whats up since it's not been starting very well.

Anyone got any ideas what would cause one to need such odd needle setting to run well?
Sounds as though you developed an air leak or picked up something in one of the ports. Maybe both? Hope you get it ironed out.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It's yet to be seen if it's better or not. ;)

I couldn't find much info about this Miracle pump. I found all kinds of posts about their smaller one for smoke, but not this one.
How did you do the swirl marks. I know it is done with a drill press but did you make the tool and what was on the end, and the process. Thanks tried it several times but did not come as good as yours thanks again.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

Covering the fuse on a slab this morning before leaving for work this morning. Got greeted by a fire that had just been put out at work so it's been a long day. Had a 300hp motor decide it was its time to stop running which set many other things on fire. Hell of a last day before enjoying three days off.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@cbarnes0061 hi there if I may ask for some advice. Started to fly a AW pro260. The plane flys great but??. Trying fly in stalled flight the plane rockets real bad and difficult to control. The shape or profile of the wing is not correct. Thinking of making a new set of wings for the plane. Is there a wing shape, % thickness and location, and how much should the leading edge taper backwards a % would be good. Any help from any body will be appreciated. Thanks.

BalsaDust

View attachment 81684

Covering the fuse on a slab this morning before leaving for work this morning. Got greeted by a fire that had just been put out at work so it's been a long day. Had a 300hp motor decide it was its time to stop running which set many other things on fire. Hell of a last day before enjoying three days off.

Depends on what your looking for. Do you want something that is slow stable and floaty or to you want something that will carry energy nicely but still remain stable in a stalled attitude?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
How did you do the swirl marks. I know it is done with a drill press but did you make the tool and what was on the end, and the process. Thanks tried it several times but did not come as good as yours thanks again.
I usually used a wire brush that goes in a drill that has all the bristles sticking straight out in line with the shaft. But even though I looked for about an hour I couldn't find it, so took CA and I glued a piece of red Scotchbrite to a Dremal grinding stone with a flat front and put that in my drill press. It worked great.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I usually used a wire brush that goes in a drill that has all the bristles sticking straight out in line with the shaft. But even though I looked for about an hour I couldn't find it, so took CA and I glued a piece of red Scotchbrite to a Dremal grinding stone with a flat front and put that in my drill press. It worked great.
It did work really, well thanks will try that next time. I tryed different grit sandpaper on a end of a dowel did not work well. But will try the scotchbrite.