• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

I have also heard to stick a piece of felt between the counterbalance and the surface just enough to put some friction there and it will stop the gitters

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have also heard to stick a piece of felt between the counterbalance and the surface just enough to put some friction there and it will stop the gitters

There are a lot of servos on the market that jitter at center these days with the power and ultra precision we demand. I have a 7950 on a Chapman cap rudder with all the velcro I can fit on that tiny counterbalance and it's the only servo I have that will visibly jitter while in flight. Plane has sporadic tail turrets or something in flight.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
There are a lot of servos on the market that jitter at center these days with the power and ultra precision we demand. I have a 7950 on a Chapman cap rudder with all the velcro I can fit on that tiny counterbalance and it's the only servo I have that will visibly jitter while in flight. Plane has sporadic tail turrets or something in flight.

Maybe it's just scared.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1420.JPG Started covering my ViperSt got most of the fuselage done just have to put the striping on the fuselage to try to make it look good.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
No airplane work for me last night or tonight. I've been playing TV repair man. I have two Samsungs that went out on strike. One has a bad Timing Control board and the other needs a Power Supply/ LED Driver. For basically $70 each, they're worth fixing. Now I'll see how long it takes to get the parts.:)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Did some much needed work to the Aerobeez 70" Slick. First up was installing a new plywood battery tray out of 1/8" ply. The factory tray gave way where the straps run through it after probably close to 300 flights. Just cut up a new tray the size of my batteries, epoxied it in place, and stuck some velcro ontop. She's not going anywhere. Also fitted one of my new plywood name badges inside :)

20161223_100135.jpg

Looked over the rest of the airplane while I had it on the bench, nothing I can see out of place but the rudder cables were a little loose.

Next up I decided to get rid of the hideous 1/4" gap between the rear of the spinner and the front of the cowl by trimming the dowel standoffs a little more than 1/8". I also added some shims on the bottom mounts to bring the motor back to level- was able to determine that the downthrust was causing some of my trim and coupling issues so I adjusted it back out. I have yet to test fly the airplane to see if this was really my problem....

20161223_094949.jpg

Lastly I replaced the rubber grommets on the cowl bolts with bonded washers. She's all ready for another 300+ hard flights!!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did some much needed work to the Aerobeez 70" Slick. First up was installing a new plywood battery tray out of 1/8" ply. The factory tray gave way where the straps run through it after probably close to 300 flights. Just cut up a new tray the size of my batteries, epoxied it in place, and stuck some velcro ontop. She's not going anywhere. Also fitted one of my new plywood name badges inside :)

View attachment 92256

Looked over the rest of the airplane while I had it on the bench, nothing I can see out of place but the rudder cables were a little loose.

Next up I decided to get rid of the hideous 1/4" gap between the rear of the spinner and the front of the cowl by trimming the dowel standoffs a little more than 1/8". I also added some shims on the bottom mounts to bring the motor back to level- was able to determine that the downthrust was causing some of my trim and coupling issues so I adjusted it back out. I have yet to test fly the airplane to see if this was really my problem....

View attachment 92255

Lastly I replaced the rubber grommets on the cowl bolts with bonded washers. She's all ready for another 300+ hard flights!!!
I am with you just do not like seeing a big gap between the cowl and spinner. And when I do I just cannot stop looking at it and saying I need to fix that.