• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had big plans for the weekend to finish a few paint repairs on my Carf Extra and get it ready to sell. Mother nature had other plans. I took it to my body shop with me Friday so I could do some priming and come back Saturday and paint.

Friday night after work, I primed the spots and left for home. My 1.9 mile drive that usually takes just a few minutes took me over a half hour. Freezing rain.:mad:
In the 40 years I've been driving it was the worst conditions I've ever been in.

It warmed up over night and melted everything, then the temps came crashing down again with more rain. So I decided to postpone the painting for a few days. It was like 6 degrees this morning with a light layer of snow with ice under it. I'm glad I didn't paint and have to keep the shop warm in that. It's supposed to be 40 later in the week.

Finally got the Laser done to be resold back to its original owner.

Found a new broken hinge on one of the stabs. So, I'm opting to buy a new set. $60 for the pair and then shipping. Oh well. Unexpected expense, but ot will Chad happy.

thurmma

150cc
Last night I installed new regulators and 3s lipos in the red 330LX. 2 5000's to the cb200 and one 2700 for the ignition. I never realized that the cb200 had a .4 to .5 voltage drop so the servos were only getting 5.4 volts! They are now getting 6.5 volts :) What a difference in speed 1 volt makes. Tonight I am putting the 1283's in both wings and making the extensions to the mpx connectors. I think I will mount the receiving connector to the fuselage and leave it just loose enough to connect it from the wings. Using true 20 awg wire made a world of difference in the elevators. I used to have to use signal amps to keep the 7950's from twitching. With the heavier gauge wire I no longer need them.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I installed new regulators and 3s lipos in the red 330LX. 2 5000's to the cb200 and one 2700 for the ignition. I never realized that the cb200 had a .4 to .5 voltage drop so the servos were only getting 5.4 volts! They are now getting 6.5 volts :) What a difference in speed 1 volt makes. Tonight I am putting the 1283's in both wings and making the extensions to the mpx connectors. I think I will mount the receiving connector to the fuselage and leave it just loose enough to connect it from the wings. Using true 20 awg wire made a world of difference in the elevators. I used to have to use signal amps to keep the 7950's from twitching. With the heavier gauge wire I no longer need them.

You you be kind enough to show a picture of the signal amps and were you bought them and the price. Thanks.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I had big plans for the weekend to finish a few paint repairs on my Carf Extra and get it ready to sell. Mother nature had other plans. I took it to my body shop with me Friday so I could do some priming and come back Saturday and paint.

Friday night after work, I primed the spots and left for home. My 1.9 mile drive that usually takes just a few minutes took me over a half hour. Freezing rain.:mad:
In the 40 years I've been driving it was the worst conditions I've ever been in.

It warmed up over night and melted everything, then the temps came crashing down again with more rain. So I decided to postpone the painting for a few days. It was like 6 degrees this morning with a light layer of snow with ice under it. I'm glad I didn't paint and have to keep the shop warm in that. It's supposed to be 40 later in the week.

Know the feeling it has not been such better over here. Had every thing and a ton of freezing rain and then snow over top you cannot do a thing and then on top of that the power when out for 6 plus hours. Sat home now for the last 3 days.

thurmma

150cc
You you be kind enough to show a picture of the signal amps and were you bought them and the price. Thanks.
Actually when I was having the issues I contacted Hitec and they sent the amps to me at no cost. I just checked their web site and can't even find them. There is a description, for lack of a better term, HS-Boost on one side and possibly a part number, MHS-2625 on the other side of both of them.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

It's not an actual part number yet, though we are supposed to receive a shipment of them for soon that will be available at any Hitec retailer for purchase. In the meantime, Servo City has a boosted extension you can purchase:

https://www.servocity.com/12-boosted-extension

Please note that these are only required if your Hitec Digital servos are jumping at random, if they are jittering at center then a signal booster will not solve the issue. Basically what is happening is the servo is not seeing a clear signal and is jumping at random due to misinterpretation of the signal command. The booster ramps up the signal voltage so the servo sees this signal clearly. Running good extensions with gold plated connectors can also alleviate the signal loss that causes the random jumping issue.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It's not an actual part number yet, though we are supposed to receive a shipment of them for soon that will be available at any Hitec retailer for purchase. In the meantime, Servo City has a boosted extension you can purchase:

https://www.servocity.com/12-boosted-extension

Please note that these are only required if your Hitec Digital servos are jumping at random, if they are jittering at center then a signal booster will not solve the issue. Basically what is happening is the servo is not seeing a clear signal and is jumping at random due to misinterpretation of the signal command. The booster ramps up the signal voltage so the servo sees this signal clearly. Running good extensions with gold plated connectors can also alleviate the signal loss that causes the random jumping issue.

Thanks for helping. Mine are not jumping at random occasions. Just every once in a while the servo jitters all I have to do is touch it and it stops. I will see once in while flying it will jitter for a split second and stop. Trying to fix this. I remove all the connectors and solder 20G wire from the servo to receiver and for the wings only one connection and they are gold connectors .

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks for helping. Mine are not jumping at random occasions. Just every once in a while the servo jitters all I have to do is touch it and it stops. I will see once in while flying it will jitter for a split second and stop. Trying to fix this. I remove all the connectors and solder 20G wire from the servo to receiver and for the wings only one connection and they are gold connectors .

Jitter isn't something to do with the connection between your receiver and your servo, it's generally caused by position variances in servo gear teeth, particularly HV and high res servos. The POT see's the slight movement on the output arm and tells the motor to readjust the position to bring the output arm back to where it is commanded to be. If there's enough gear slop then the arm can overshoot the commanded position slightly as the motor usually goes full throttle. When it overshoots, the POT can see that and then that causes the circuit to take corrective action in the opposite direction which gives you this repeated back and forth motion, or jittering.

For the most part, it's not an issue with the servo, it's just an inconvenience. When the airplane takes flight it's usually enough to keep the servo from jittering. I have some 7955's that jitter on the ground but as soon as the engine is up and running and the airplane airborne they stop completely.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Jitter isn't something to do with the connection between your receiver and your servo, it's generally caused by position variances in servo gear teeth, particularly HV and high res servos. The POT see's the slight movement on the output arm and tells the motor to readjust the position to bring the output arm back to where it is commanded to be. If there's enough gear slop then the arm can overshoot the commanded position slightly as the motor usually goes full throttle. When it overshoots, the POT can see that and then that causes the circuit to take corrective action in the opposite direction which gives you this repeated back and forth motion, or jittering.

For the most part, it's not an issue with the servo, it's just an inconvenience. When the airplane takes flight it's usually enough to keep the servo from jittering. I have some 7955's that jitter on the ground but as soon as the engine is up and running and the airplane airborne they stop completely.
Thanks