• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Try a copper tube cutter with the blade dulled just enough to create grooves instead of cutting and a little high temp silicon in the joint before grooving. You'll have to use a few pieces of the tubing until you find the right amount of flat on the cutter blade for it to press grooves.

thurmma

150cc
Last night I continued the venture of switching from pull-pull to push-pull on the rudder of the 330LX. Found out that I didn't have long enough turnbuckles :( so, had to order 2 6" turnbuckles from SWB. Chief Aircraft showed $15.00 for the price but, when you added it to the cart the price went to $15.95! Also, their minimum order was $20.00 and their shipping was over $11.00 for the same exact shipping that I paid $7.95 for from SWB.

Rusty 73

100cc
The hobby shop i deal with has a min $100 purchase to get free shipping in Canada . I have found Amain hobby to be great with small amounts, purchase some JR screws grommets and eyelets and they just sent in the mail , cost about three dollars in first class mail and received it in a week . You should check them out .

BalsaDust

IMG_7343.JPG

That's there is one of those removable counterbalances. Gonna have to break out the packing tape and thin CA. Oh and if you notice you can see the packing tape already holding the counterbalance on on the other side.

Last edited:

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
The hobby shop i deal with has a min $100 purchase to get free shipping in Canada . I have found Amain hobby to be great with small amounts, purchase some JR screws grommets and eyelets and they just sent in the mail , cost about three dollars in first class mail and received it in a week . You should check them out .
Why don't more do that? Makes me hot when I get ready to check out an order that is relatively small and then I see freight is 10-20 bucks. Totally ridiculous. I simply refuse to buy from any company that rips me off on freight. Anyone can go online and see what it cost to ship.

I was going to order a couple servo arms the other day (don't remember where from) and got ready to check out and almost fell out of my chair! I think the cheapest freight was 11.00 dollars and this was from a company in the US. It would have cost about 2.00 dollars or less to get it to me. Snail mail is cheap and that should be an option for us for light weight items.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The problem may be that in order for a shop to get an overall descent rate they have to ship everything through the shipper, thus the ridiculous minimum, but for larger items a very nice rate.

Rusty 73

100cc
This problem isn't going away, most of these companys i have order from have this flat rate , To pipes supports was $12 shipping and i just ordedred a drill guide from DA . It was $9-11 for shipping so i decided to order a Mejlik three blade prop and together was $17.5 for shipping . Seems like its more cost effective to order more from these places to make it worth shipping .

It's not like the local hobby shop are carrying most of these parts so we can just drive down and pick them up. Those days are long gone i believe .