• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Timber 110" Twin Build

RC80AK

50cc

:I_agree: Those are some NOICE machines right there!

Nice work and you have some really nice tools.
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. TIG welding is both incredibly rewarding and insanely frustrating at times when tackling thin wall tubing. I've slowly accumulated tools and tried to develop skill with them over the years. My dream house would be a giant shop full of tools with a bed in the corner, but I probably won't be able to sell that idea to the wife. ;)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. TIG welding is both incredibly rewarding and insanely frustrating at times when tackling thin wall tubing. I've slowly accumulated tools and tried to develop skill with them over the years. My dream house would be a giant shop full of tools with a bed in the corner, but I probably won't be able to sell that idea to the wife. ;)
We have all tried that one but up to now I do not believe any of us have succeeded.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What is the smallest Tig machine we as hobbyist need for the hobby. Do not believe we will ever need to weld more than 1/4 aluminum.e
What I mean small not cheap.

RC80AK

50cc
What is the smallest Tig machine we as hobbyist need for the hobby. Do not believe we will ever need to weld more than 1/4 aluminum.e
What I mean small not cheap.
I built this ATV rack with my Miller Diversion 165amp air cooled torch machine. 3/16” plate. It took everything it had and the torch gets very hot fast. This size project and down with 165 or 185 amp machine. If you expect more go 200+amps with a liquid cooled torch.
4312B420-EDC7-4647-A472-516624C47EE2.jpeg
509732E3-4191-47AA-BAB3-FFB38F5BDCAF.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
When you say liquid cooled torch the main power unit has a cooling system that is feed to the torch and returned to the power unit and cooled again.

WMcNabb

150cc
Looked up a Dynasty TIG welder and found a very cool reference.
Jim was an awesome person as well as a phenomenal pilot.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resourc...igstick-welder-flies-high-for-air-show-pilots

When you say liquid cooled torch the main power unit has a cooling system that is feed to the torch and returned to the power unit and cooled again.

A liquid cooled torch shows as an accessory for this rig, as does a cooler:

https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media...s/6/3/e/ad481-dynasty-210-series--english.pdf

RC80AK

50cc
The main power unit is air cooled with fans. The water cooler is an accessory that pumps a coolant out the welding leads and circulates through the torch head. For hobby use air cooled is simple and cheaper. Just don't expect to build a boat with one.

I'd look at Everlast, options for hobby use start around $850 for AC/DC TIG. AC aluminum - DC for steel.

RC80AK

50cc
I spent some time digging in to more thrust/power testing and exploring the data logging feature on the Castle Creation Edge ESCs. I've used the Castle Link Windows software and their Bluetooth Link/iPhone app quite a bit fine tuning ESC settings but never ventured into the logging. What a blast! After some testing I may be switching to 4 Scorpion SII-4020-540 and 6s power. I'm getting over 15lbs of static thrust with a 15x8 on a single motor. That would put me around 54lbs static with the 4 motors.
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.03.08 PM.png

RC80AK

50cc
Here's a quick video of what two of the Scorpion's sound like spinning 15x8 props just over 9k rpm. 4 of them is going to sound wicked! I played with my throttle calibration/curves on both motors to get them very close in RPM. It eliminates most of the oscillating/droning sound you hear from twin aircraft.