• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Timber 110" Twin Build

RC80AK

50cc
Greetings Guys,

After completing a twin-mod build on an Ultra Stick 30 this spring and loving how it performs I've decided to roll the concept to the Timber 110. Here are a few photos of the finished stick and a rendering of the project. Most of the components should arrive before the holiday weekend and I'll start cutting out parts on the CNC this week.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.27.02 PM.png
IMG_2311.jpeg
IMG_E1589.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg
landing.jpeg

Last edited:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Awesome. Sounds like a cool project. And welcome to GSN. :welcome:

Edit: That’s a really cool carry cradle for the Stick. You’re own design? I need to make some of those for several of my planes. Would come in real handy.

RC80AK

50cc
Awesome. Sounds like a cool project. And welcome to GSN. :welcome:

Edit: That’s a really cool carry cradle for the Stick. You’re own design? I need to make some of those for several of my planes. Would come in real handy.

Thanks guys! The Ultra Stick got me hooked on giant scale. She flies incredible in the wind with the added size, weight, and an Aura 8 flight controller. I wasn't intending on another build this summer, but... well you know how it goes. :D

Thanks pawnshopmike, the cradle is my own design. It's milled out of 3/4" MDO. My truck bed cover hinges down and captures the top to keep the plane secure while driving. It also straps it to the front rack of my ATV when I want to fly somewhere the truck can't go. Trimming the stick tips down and going with plates/custom angled forward landing gear allowed the wing panels to fit between the horizontal stab and gear.

I'll be making one for the Timber, but I'm not sure how I'll nest the components together yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 665

WMcNabb

150cc
Thanks guys! The Ultra Stick got me hooked on giant scale. She flies incredible in the wind with the added size, weight, and an Aura 8 flight controller. I wasn't intending on another build this summer, but... well you know how it goes. :D

Thanks pawnshopmike, the cradle is my own design. It's milled out of 3/4" MDO. My truck bed cover hinges down and captures the top to keep the plane secure while driving. It also straps it to the front rack of my ATV when I want to fly somewhere the truck can't go. Trimming the stick tips down and going with plates/custom angled forward landing gear allowed the wing panels to fit between the horizontal stab and gear.

I'll be making one for the Timber, but I'm not sure how I'll nest the components together yet.

What could be better than Planes, Puppies and an ATV??!!!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Greetings Guys,

After completing a twin-mod build on an Ultra Stick 30 this spring and loving how it performs I've decided to roll the concept to the Timber 110. Here are a few photos of the finished stick and a rendering of the project. Most of the components should arrive before the holiday weekend and I'll start cutting out parts on the CNC this week.

View attachment 115186 View attachment 115182 View attachment 115183 View attachment 115184 View attachment 115185

Why hello fellow Alaskan!! :welcome: I tried to hit "like" multiple times, but it wont let me :cryin:
As you probably saw, we have a 110" timber thread here you can reference for beefing up the needed areas. CG 5" back from the LE should be easily achieved with your setup! That Stick turned out beautiful!
Looking forward to the TWINBER!!!! :yesss:

I couldn't help but notice we have similar ideas for the tailwheel! How did you do yours on the stick?
36A76EC7-4AA5-4CF6-AF08-3D9ACDFE2C94.jpeg

Last edited:

RC80AK

50cc
What could be better than Planes, Puppies and an ATV??!!!

I agree! The wife and pups love RC trips to the beach!
Why hello fellow Alaskan!! :welcome: I tried to hit "like" multiple times, but it wont let me :cryin:
As you probably saw, we have a 110" timber thread here you can reference for beefing up the needed areas. CG 5" back from the LE should be easily achieved with your setup! That Stick turned out beautiful!
Looking forward to the TWINBER!!!! :yesss:

I couldn't help but notice we have similar ideas for the tailwheel! How did you do yours on the stick?
View attachment 115191

Thanks Nick! I appreciate the warm welcome from everyone. I'll be taking advantage of all of the great information on the forum.

Yes! It looks like our tailwheel forks are very similar... I needed something a lot stronger, bigger, and with some give for beach flying. The spring is a single 5/32" music wire bent on both ends. One end forms the fork pivot with a single retaining wheel collar. The other end has a bend that is captured by the two mount halves to keep the wire from spinning. The fork and mount are milled out of HDPE on my CNC router. The fork control arm is single sided and floating on two machine screws with fuel tube bushings. It gives the setup a little give since it is direct linkage to a metal gear servo. I've been very happy with the Dubro 2.5" smooth rubber low bounce tire as a tailwheel. It has the perfect amount of give and does exactly what Dubro claims with the "low bounce" description. The setup works awesome!

What do you think of the factory tail spring? Should I stick with it for beach flying and mill a tailwheel fork?
fork cut 2.jpg
fork cut.jpg
IMG_1792.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
tailwheel.jpg

Last edited:

RC80AK

50cc
Here's a short video hanging the stick in the wind. The twin 15" props directly in front of the flaps along with the VGs keep the wing flying and in full control. I can't wait to try this out with a higher lift airfoil/110" wing, massive flaps, and slats!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Here's a short video hanging the stick in the wind. The twin 15" props directly in front of the flaps along with the VGs keep the wing flying and in full control. I can't wait to try this out with a higher lift airfoil/110" wing, massive flaps, and slats!
Very cool!