• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D to iBEc or not to iBEc that is my question

Rooman

30cc
There is an inspection safety check list - it says that there should be 2 methods of stopping/killing the gas engine and both be effective before flight
I came across it some years back

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Yea, I see this a lot, you're talking about this from 515-A
5. All engines must be able to be shut off from the transmitter by either a servo operated kill switch or
by closing the carburetor. All aircraft with ignition engines must have a manual emergency ignition
kill switch visibly mounted on the exterior of the aircraft.

Thats from 515-A which is the Safety Standards for Giant Scale RACING

That only applies to racing competition, there's no requirements in the AMA safety code for a kill switch which applies to the rest of us.

Even 520-A that says the following, only applies to models over 55 lbs and subject to LMA inspection/certification.
7. For powered models, a fail-safe system must be used to retard the throttle in the event of
control interruption. For sailplanes/gliders, a failsafe setting must be used that fully
deploys the normal landing mode settings
8. An engine shut-off system, operable from the transmitter, in addition to normal throttlekill
ability is required.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I like what I read...... It is nice to see what others are thinking, without getting hammered on about my thoughts! Keep it up!

We don't do that here.........there is another site that will provide all of that you care to deal with. This site seems to be pretty good about members respecting others opinions on a topic without trashing their point of view.

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
We don't do that here.........there is another site that will provide all of that you care to deal with. This site seems to be pretty good about members respecting others opinions on a topic without trashing their point of view.
That is why this site is number one in my books!!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I can't imagine why you would NOT have one, required or not. I have always had one since day one, even if it's a throttle cut on my glow planes on a switch. My gassers have a choke servo, ignition kill, and as a last resort I could trim down the throttle servo until it dies. I like the peace of mind of being in complete control of all aspects of my plane, I consider the engine to be another control surface. What would be the advantage of not having some sort of remote kill?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I like what I read...... It is nice to see what others are thinking, without getting hammered on about my thoughts! Keep it up!
The first large event I attended had an instance where one would have been very beneficial. "Skippy" was flying his OV 4 Bronco with twin DLE30's. The throttle got stuck and instead of flying until it died, he tried to land. On landing one of the engines died and the one away from the pits stayed running at a high speed. The plane proceeded to go right towards the pits and ended up hitting some planes and tables. A kill switch would have saved a couple of planes that day.

I have tech-aeros in all of my birds. Since I use two receivers I use 2 IBECs connected to a smart fly bat share. Just for redundancy. I like to fly low and don't want any issues! I've only see one go bad. Luckily the guy flying the plane landed without issue. Tech-aero sent him a new one right away. A bunch of guys at the field use them.