• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

    Welcome!

Resurrection U Can Do 60 Repair

Taking a break from the Cub to get some work done on one of my favorite planes to fly, my UCD 60, with a DLE 20. I've been flying it for a few years now and because of the extra-large control surfaces, the tail feathers take a beating. I've already re-hinged the elevators and rudder a few times so far. I decided to build a new fin/rudder from 3/8 balsa to give the hinge area more bite. The rudder was also broken, from knife edge flight. It's just too tall for the balsa used originally.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4790 (2).JPG
    IMG_4790 (2).JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4789 (2).JPG
    IMG_4789 (2).JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 79
I was able to remove the fin buy using a hacksaw blade and blade holder. It wasn't too bad. I also wanted to make the fin post longer, and extend down towards the bottom of the fuse, so I cut that portion out as well.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4791 (2).JPG
    IMG_4791 (2).JPG
    359 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4794 (2).JPG
    IMG_4794 (2).JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4795 (2).JPG
    IMG_4795 (2).JPG
    331 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4797 (2).JPG
    IMG_4797 (2).JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 72
I used my Byrnes saw to rip some 3/8 balsa sheet to the stick size I wanted to use to build the new fin and rudder, which is 3/8 x 1/2 and 3/8 x 3/16 stock. I've also set my old harbor freight saw just Infront of the Byrnes saw. I've found that It saves me a lot of time, as I can cut the longer sticks to size on the old harbor freight saw, while using the Byrnes saw with the fence attached to rip the material I needed. Worked out great.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4799 (2).JPG
    IMG_4799 (2).JPG
    687.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4793 (2).JPG
    IMG_4793 (2).JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 75
Took the measurements from the old parts and made some new ones, though I shorted the rudder by 2.25 inches.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4801 (2).JPG
    IMG_4801 (2).JPG
    553.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4804 (2).JPG
    IMG_4804 (2).JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4805 (2).JPG
    IMG_4805 (2).JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4806 (2).JPG
    IMG_4806 (2).JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 73
Fit turned out good. I just have to hinge and final sand before I get some covering on them and glue the fin in. Down the road, I'm planning on doing a full scratch build on a UCD 60.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4812 (2).JPG
    IMG_4812 (2).JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4813 (2).JPG
    IMG_4813 (2).JPG
    512 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Top