• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Valuehobby Saber X 51

njswede

150cc
Has anyone tried to fly this on a 5s or 6s? Not that I lack power with my current setup (930W), but more is always better, no? :)

Has anyone tried to fly this on a 5s or 6s? Not that I lack power with my current setup (930W), but more is always better, no? :)

I have thought about trying two 3s 1800's but I like it the way it is now on the 4s and have the batts so I can't see wasting the money to try it. So far I haven't found a good 6s motor for a plane this size, I don't see any Motrolfly's that will work with a 14x7 prop that are suitable for the stress of 3D flying. I might check out Hobby$hitty and see what they have.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have thought about trying two 3s 1800's but I like it the way it is now on the 4s and have the batts so I can't see wasting the money to try it. So far I haven't found a good 6s motor for a plane this size, I don't see any Motrolfly's that will work with a 14x7 prop that are suitable for the stress of 3D flying. I might check out Hobby$hitty and see what they have.

Custom wound DM3615 would easily spin a 14x7 on whichever kv setup you want.

njswede

150cc
To be honest, I agree with Jet. My Sabre flies so great on my current setup that I have very little incentive to invest more money in the power system. I'll save my pennies for my 2013 gasser project instead. :)

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............I'm interested. Only. $120? Nice! How much to rig out with a good setup?

EDIT- just saw that it uses an elevator joiner.......I have had bad experiences with those.......does the elevator half ithout the horn get and blowback?

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
The joiner sure is a pain to install, but it feels pretty sturdy. However, I had a tad of roll coupling if I slammed the elevator. It's possible that it's caused by blowback, but I just mixed it out on my radio and forgot about it. (Another reason you want a radio with a lot of mixes, BTW...)

I had last Monday off and got in about five hours of flying. I haven't been flying much lately, between work, crappy weather, and all the soccer fields full of kids all day just not much opportunity. And of course being a little rusty cost some damage on my planes, wounded my 70" Slick, 60" EF Edge, and tore the nose off my Skywing MXS. the only plane to survive was my Sabre-X. I attribute this to the ease that it flies with. I may go to HV Servo's to see if I can get a little more snap out of it. I think faster servo's in the tail are the only thing that might put a little more response in this bird.

This bird feels just like a profile to me when flying. It's slow and graceful and for the $$ it just can't be beat, hands down anywhere! I'm using a cheap Monster 25 with a 14x5 wood prop and it turned out to be a great inexpensive motor. I'm sure the Motrofly is much better, but it's what I had lying around and works great for me (power to pull out of a hover, so good enough). Stay away from the suggested servos, they are crap, may be ok for ailerons, but I've stripped two now on the rudder and elevator so I suggest going with HS82's or HS85mg from the start. Again, it's as floaty as my profile, and handles wind well. I flew 4 batteries yesterday in 12-18mph without any problems. My only issue is that it isn't quite as manuverable as my other 3dhs airframes (Velox 47-super crazy, and 68" Velox). DG

ps. I have the Sabre 47 profile with a 55AX on it, and it flys extremely well. Can handle anything you can throw at it 3D wise, and is a ProBro approved design. I've read the small Sabre35" profile and Cap35" fly extremely well on e-power.

Oh yeah bothe the Sabre 35 and the Scap are a blast. I prefer the Scap by just a small margin due to it having more pitch authority. But either one is great. Cheap to operate too.

wedoitall

so i have a couple of questions about the sabre X. what do you think the total over approximate cost would be, for a reliable setup. i really like the looks of the plane, only thing is, was wondering about is strength and durability. have you had any hard landings, etc with it? are there any bottlenecks, anything youve tried and didnt wanna seem to do? or would do and was just ugly. what if your looking for something to do 3d and aerobatics, will it do both?