• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Weighing your plane.

-Rick-

100cc
Just wondering how many weigh their planes before flying them. Sometimes I think knowing the weight will put a black cloud over the first flight if she's a pig. As long as the CG is correct I fly em and don't worry about the weight. Tell if she's heavy once up there!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm with you, I don't bother with knowing the actual weight, if it flies light then it's light enough :way_to_go:

I don't really even have a means of weighing the large airplanes anyways, although there are 3 point scales out there than you can accurately weigh and determine the CG with.

I don't consider weight to be a considerable variable with most planes being ARFs with common power systems and accessories.

BalsaDust

I like to know what mine weigh. Given my larger planes I may not get an exact weight as I'm just using the bathroom scale.

emtp275

100cc
10$ at wallmart in the baggage section you can get a digital scale I loop a string around the wingtube and counter rotation pin on each side hook it with the scale and pick the plane up. Its not important and I had an extra weigh heavy one time and was disappointed knowing that i had a pig with a DLE 55 on it but wing loading was great and the 55 still had decent vertical so I was surprised at how well it flew on maiden.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Some times I do some times I do not. When I am asked at the field most of the time My answer is I haven't weighed it yet. When I do I use My Electronic AC scale accurate within 1 to 3 grams with an auto O reset

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I weigh mine, then I read a lot of weights people post and I think a lot of people are just guessing or weighing in some inaccurate way. I remember reading one guys post where his 50cc Arf with an identical set up as mine, same plane as mine weighed almost two pounds less than mine. Really?

To me, as long as it flies good I'm happy. I don't fret about the weight very much.

I use three digital scales that I've checked using calibration weights for my paint scales at work.