• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Where did you decide to add the carbon strips?
Ok I will try to explain my reasoning on how I decided to do it.
1. Carbon needs to be glued down with epoxy.
2. Wood glue does not work to well if at all with carbon.
3. Wood to wood with wood glue is the best.
4. Yes I agree the bigger the Ixx axis is the more effective the carbon will be.
From the above assumptions the spar with the carbon is epoxied glued face down onto the phenolic. And wood face up. This gives me a wood to wood joint with wood glue and the ability to do some sanding to everything flat and smooth for sheeting. This setup I believe gives me the best glued connections and therefore overall the strongest wing. I am also a believer that the skin sheeting adds the most strength therefore the best connection is wood to wood.

WMcNabb

150cc
Ixx, $hit's getting real!

Modulus of something something....been too many years

Here you are Bart - refresher course....

Attachments

• B5E340BB-46D4-4294-9D5B-9B1A9EDFBB0F.gif
    B5E340BB-46D4-4294-9D5B-9B1A9EDFBB0F.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 275

Alky6

150cc
Ok I will try to explain my reasoning on how I decided to do it.
1. Carbon needs to be glued down with epoxy.
2. Wood glue does not work to well if at all with carbon.
3. Wood to wood with wood glue is the best.
4. Yes I agree the bigger the Ixx axis is the more effective the carbon will be.
From the above assumptions the spar with the carbon is epoxied glued face down onto the phenolic. And wood face up. This gives me a wood to wood joint with wood glue and the ability to do some sanding to everything flat and smooth for sheeting. This setup I believe gives me the best glued connections and therefore overall the strongest wing. I am also a believer that the skin sheeting adds the most strength therefore the best connection is wood to wood.
But what about the Iyy axis, or J?? ha,ha. Just kidding. Sounds very reasonable and very good reasons to place the carbon under the spars. The balsa will most likely stretch a bit at that outer fiber where the carbon isn't going to so the carbon should still be the ultimate failure point...

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Flipped the wing over this morning and glued in all the bottom spars. Spent some of the day making the two extra bevels for the ailerons from balsa, and also prepared the sheeting for the center section. Not looking forward to sanding the sheeting just one job not high on my list of enjoyment. That should al be ready to sand tomorrow. As they say in Australia if I remember correctly done enough damage for day will start over tomorrow.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
23E07111-490E-4D18-898E-3087B669459C.jpeg
Well got the first sheet on the front it went well and it laying down nice and flat . Trimmed the sheeting as small as I could so that when the tape it is pulled down the edge is down nice and flat to the leading edge and not bent over the leading edge and breaking.