• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
One wing one side sheeted, now have to build the two servo boxes clean up the ends and plan the two ailerons. And install the smaller shear webs. Also sheeted in the last rib bay find it really stiffens up the wing tip and helps with flutter.

87D3E7FB-2DC9-4BE3-86F6-A8E390113314.jpeg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The question is do I build the servo box up against or close to the main spar or down close to the trailing edge. This time because of the rib spacing and a odd number of spaces will be making the out board aileron the bigger one.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got the wing flipped and working on the bottom sheeting in the picture is the center sheeting is being glued down and waiting for the glue to dry. Then hinge pin blocks, cap strips, trailing edge and few more things and some cleaning up and then we are onto the ailerons.
12786597-07B7-4520-A512-331012341FCF.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You will be surprised how much weight a wing can take. I just hate it when it is not wood to wood connection if there is any gap I go back and fix it. I have found over the years that by doing it like in the picture I almost never have gaps. Plus the wing is stronger and also flat and less likely to have bumps.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This is one of the servo bays with balsa glued around it for the covering and diagonal brace back to the main spar, that should stop any deflection. And with some bass wood blocks for the servo screws.
DE0C6357-0185-4FAD-9261-D78C90D00798.jpeg

CA752832-F185-4C49-8ADC-3B2213D3403B.jpeg

This is the modified root rib modified so that the wing can be bolted in from the inside of the fuselage, in stead of a grub screw into the end of the wing tube.

FC430FE1-B1A8-48DB-8E08-5DAE7ACC9E3B.jpeg

This picture shows the changes to the wing connection so that you can use 1/4 inch 20 screw from the inside of the fuselage to hold the wing in.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The wing is basically built all that needs to be done is the hinge pin blocks glued in and the leading edge glued on and sanded. Got frustrated with ailerons so I cut them off difficult to build them while still connected to the wing. So now that they have Been removed I was thinking to make them a little bigger by about 1 inch, what do you think. Build a complete set of new ailerons.
It will bring the plane a little closer to today’s standards and make the plane a little more responsive.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Mini crisis in the work:shop ran out of glue, need to make a run to the lumber store to get another bottle.
Just looked at some of the history and it looks like it took me almost 2 weeks just to build one half of a wing. Just ready about a person asking about a 40% plus plane , but it should not take more than 10 hours to build it and be ready to fly. Was asking all kinds of questions on what was done and what he need to. I just cannot understand stand that train of thought.