Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Snoopy1, Feb 12, 2019.

1. WMcNabb

WMcNabb 150cc

TN, USA
    Wasn’t it Benjamin Franklin who said “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”?

Another favorite...

Attached Files:

2. Buy Nice or Buy Twice. :big_yes:

3. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    I was thinking about the ailerons on how to do it. It is made up of a lot of small pieces and a pain to keep flat, square and straight. So I was thinking of trying to make them out of styrofoam with 3/32 balsa sheeting top and bottom and end caps a leading and trailing edge. Never cut styrofoam before so that should prove interesting. Any suggestions would be helpful, just note it just a thought for now.

49dimes and HRRC Flyer like this.
  4. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

1/16" sheeting is fine for foam if you are going over 1# foam, I would use 3/32" over foam ribs, my favorite wing construction. Here's a foam rib wing that I just finished before starting the Champ.

Attached Files:

49dimes, pawnshopmike and Snoopy1 like this.
  5. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Wow that looks good that surely is not your first go at it.
    Yes I belive it to be 1# foam it very light a flimsy so I agree with you on 3/32” balsa.

6. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Ok after a little experimenting I found the voltage required to cut foam with out making a mess of it. Spent more time setting up the hot wire to get to cut straight. The picture shows what was made and the power control box I had from my previous hobby 1/12 scale - 6 cell carpet cars.,
    93E5458C-3325-49A7-8C5E-F329C8BEDC29.jpeg

49dimes, WMcNabb, Alky6 and 2 others like this.
  7. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

No, the foam you are using needs 1/16" balsa, 3/32" is going over open bays. Yes I have cut many foam core and foam rib wings over the past 35 years.

8. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

I absolutely agree with the thought of buying good equipment. Never risk your pride and joy to less than quality products. My favorite for 100-120cc planes is the Hitec HS7954sh or HS7955th. Been using three 7954's on each aileron of the Behemoth Yak. Not quite as powerful or quite as fast, but quite adequate for anything I've ever demanded of them. Never lost any so I am sure I'm not over taxing them. Upside is they are less than 100 bucks shipped.

49dimes, Snoopy1 and pawnshopmike like this.
  9. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Thanks I will check them out.

10. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Well building the second wing have not been reporting much because it much of the same. If you interested let me know or I will just continue until the second wing is done and then start reporting progress again.

49dimes and Alky6 like this.