• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1 since I used the original bolt through the tube method, that was not an issue I had. Like you say you could make a front and rear tray to clear your bolt positions. I would just be concerned about moving things too far back as you may run into balance issues. I managed to need no weights at all (always a goal of mine) and utilised receiver and ignition batteries to achieve the balanced outcome. I have attached some photos of the area for you to see what I did. The tray does add some stability to the structure, but a split tray will also achieve the outcome.

A couple of other points while I think of them:
1. The stab tube in the fuselage should butt up against the former that is just in front of it. Make sure you get a good glue joint there. If I were to make mine again, I would likely add a small sub former behind the stab tube to help distribute load from the tube to the fuselage sides. Any chance you can post a close up photo of the tail area showing where the stab tube mounts?
2. When you cut the holes in the fuselage sheeting for the wings to fit in, you will end up with a bit of a gap due to the taper of the wing. I did not like this as I was concerned that the air pressure might bend the skin leading to possible failure. As a result I put some triangle stock on the wing to cover the gap (see photo). It is a little tricky due to the non 90 degree angles, but well worth the time in my opinion.

When you add the outer shell formers, it is best to have the fuselage upside down on a flat surface and weighted down to hold it true. Then add the shell formers and while it is still weighted down add the longerons in pairs (one each side) to help keep it straight. Do not move it until you have all the longerons on that you can and everything is well and truly set. This should give you a very straight and strong fuselage.

I also change the canopy a bit by adding additional front, side and rear bracing to give the canopy something more to glue to. When you get close to that let me know and I will send some photos of what I did.

Looking at the picture of the wing that looks like a real pain to do. And one thought came to,mind with that stuck on the wing it must be very prong to hanger rash when the wing is laid down. But yes have to agree it must look better than a gap.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Added the extra brace or spar to the stabilizer tube, this should help and give the tube support back to the fuselage sides
FC3AEED1-D88C-429E-80B8-B73E16D0CB6B.jpeg

Looking at the picture of the wing that looks like a real pain to do. And one thought came to,mind with that stuck on the wing it must be very prong to hanger rash when the wing is laid down. But yes have to agree it must look better than a gap.

It has had a bit of hangar rash, but nothing too bad. I store the wings laid on eggshell foam so they don't suffer much.

I like the extra brace you added at the rear. Will help to spread the load better, even though I have neve had an issue, but I am not flying hard 3D. Make sure you get a good glue joint between the tube and the formers/brace and the fuselage sides.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Never stingy on glue. Working on the main landing gear support. What I have found in my junk is a nice carbon landing gear that fits the bill but is not Bow legged like extra are but it will work. Have to add a small support to the gear because it had 4 holes in it at the wrong Location.
Need all The stiffness I can build into the plane from what I have read a DA120 is pretty rough on aeroplane framing.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Big hurdle pasted today the wings are on and all the pins and bolts are in and lined up and everything is still square and parallel. The stabilizer tube is also glued in and setup to the plane and main wing. That it for today, as we say enough damage for to day. Of to Toledo tomorrow
B01D97BF-78CA-4975-8BB9-4AD1D39E847D.jpeg
181710EE-992C-4433-A4F4-1B2AEB9D40CF.jpeg