• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Stabilizer all finished up both counterbalance sanded so they just clear. And the elevators hinged. Both are done and sanded just have come up with a colour scheme and then they can be covered. That is always the hardest part for me never can come up with scheme. Sorry the only thing not done is the leading edge always do that just before they are covered just to minimize hanger damage, difficult to fix a radius edge nicely.

9DCC4452-E260-4B77-9AA1-2D54C1CB7587.jpeg

Well need some HELP or some advice, on a stabilizer when the elevator has a counterbalance the part of the counter balance that protrudes forward do you sand a full radios on it or sand it just enough to clear the fixed stabilizer.
@Snoopy1 I put a full rounded radius on it. If you leave it mostly flat (as per your pictures), when you move the elevator you will have drag induced yaw from the front of the elevator counterbalance. While it may cancel out side to side, it will affect performance of the aircraft slightly.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
300sp2.jpg

Taking suggestions?
Thanks that is a nice looking plane. Thanks for providing the picture I can look back on it when required
Had another look at the picture still like it but the only thing is I despise black on a plane it is impossible to keep smooth and looking good in the sun when ever I have used black I have cursed it every time I get home from flying I end with an iron getting the bubbles and wrinkles out. Now if I can find another colour that looks good in the scheme

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1 I put a full rounded radius on it. If you leave it mostly flat (as per your pictures), when you move the elevator you will have drag induced yaw from the front of the elevator counterbalance. While it may cancel out side to side, it will affect performance of the aircraft slightly.
I agree with your statement, but have to think about it . When I was doing it I started to make them round but as I had just removed enough to rotate the elevator it really looked good in the level position. I know it not e very good technical reason. I will think about it I can always remove the rest at a later date.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thinking of putting the landing gear together but thought I had a nice pair of 4 1/2 aluminum wheels laying around but I think somebody stole them nowhere to be found. Did find a pair H9 wheels at 4 1/2 inches and put them on, they look ok. So started looking for a nice pair of aluminum wheels on the web. We’ll talk about sticker shock. A set of 4 1/2 inch wheels over $150 plus axles plus shipping it will be over $200 that is getting to be a bit much. Will have to see how long I can live with the present H9 wheels. Will get a picture later on today. I think I know why everyone likes wheel pants saves a lot of money, the only thing is I do not like wheel pants. They usually do not stay on long, once they are slightly damage they are done gone will not fix them.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok pictures of the wheel mounting. I have not used the standard wheel axle for a long time do not like them for several reasons but the main reason is the silly collar with a grub screw. Always a problem sooner or later. Today I use just standard 1/4 hex socket head screw. Make sure it is at grade 8 or higher. Run the bolt through the wheel with to nylon washers on either side of the wheel. Then run a nut on to the screw. Then install a hardened washer on either side of the gear leg. Then use a nylon nut on the outside. Tighten it up and nothing will ever come off or give any trouble. I did have to make a small bushing for the gear to take up the clearance in the hole on the gear and 1/4 inch screw.
F87EB7E3-4EAD-4DAB-AB18-75480433933F.jpeg
FE526572-24A2-4FCE-81D0-2761CA7C43DF.jpeg

JasonMcD

30cc
I’ve often thought that would make a cleaner set up, but worried that the threads would slowly make the hole in the wheel bigger. Never had an issue with that?