• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow @AKNick that tail does not look good. Something is going on in there, something is broken and needs to be fixed. Must say that does not say much for the design. It is falling apart. Keep us informed depending what you find it looks like I maybe pulling mine apart to fix what ever you find.

Looks like the top longeron glue joint failed because it was subject to a torsion load in which it is not designed for. It will probably end up with some cross bracing between formers to alleviate this.
MPX connectors have given me some grief but I thought it was me but, but what I have learnt I cannot prove it but when they are not bolted down to the fuselage they work great, and never come apart.

For sure. I’ve seen other folks do this style hard mount, but it’s not the way to do it for a gasser.
Hansen hobbies has a good multi connector that may be worth looking into.
For me, I suppose not utilizing the mount will have to be the answer.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Did a little digging. Top longeron popped loose from the former.
There was another interlinking ply that had never seen glue and was popped out a bit.
Lower belly foam cracked. I never did repair the other one I found. So busted out some foam tack.
I’m going to add some cross bracing.
5F6E000D-2C60-4120-8F1F-1088DA5A1128.jpeg
76505BD7-BA8B-4030-8776-8817730AC0F1.jpeg

Not sure what to think about this random screw. I also had one fall out only a wing. ???
BF0A8E66-D099-46A8-BA62-BA2A9415F2D4.jpeg

Foam tac to the rescue.
9DD5A784-7D0E-4BEB-AD4C-C9E1AA5D4ECE.jpeg
CAB7ED1B-B85A-4E6E-B221-5F9E0148C643.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did a little digging. Top longeron popped loose from the former.
There was another interlinking ply that had never seen glue and was popped out a bit.
Lower belly foam cracked. I never did repair the other one I found. So busted out some foam tack.
I’m going to add some cross bracing.
View attachment 112072 View attachment 112073

Not sure what to think about this random screw. I also had one fall out only a wing. ???
View attachment 112074

Foam tac to the rescue.
View attachment 112075 View attachment 112076

Not built very well, that is not looking good for HH. When I followed @Jetpainter build his HH extra I said I would not buy another HH plane but when the Timber came along I thought give it another chance but I think I have made a mistake again. But have to make the best of it and see how it works out for me.
Looking at your pictures for awhile to see if I can add some extra glue or wood to improve the situation on my plane , but it does not seem possible. If you see a way please let me know. Without cutting the covering.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Not built very well, that is not looking good for HH. When I followed @Jetpainter build his HH extra I said I would not buy another HH plane but when the Timber came along I thought give it another chance but I think I have made a mistake again. But have to make the best of it and see how it works out for me.
Looking at your pictures for awhile to see if I can add some extra glue or wood to improve the situation on my plane , but it does not seem possible. If you see a way please let me know. Without cutting the covering.

HH had recently started to use a new supplier/factory for their planes. So hopefully they'll get it figured out. It's disappointing to see the lack of glue along with poor fitment.
After my 15cc carbon cub I was saying the same thing as you, too heavy, didn't care for all the bells and whistles. But when this plane came out... I already was in love with the timber, it was designed to 3D and was in the 30-50cc range which is exactly what I was looking for. The plane flies great. Post stall it responded better with 5" CG, a little power and flaps it's very predictable, but with no power high alpha stall without flaps it drops a wing.
Since you have this winter to work on it, I think beefing up the areas are worth it. No need to cut it open if you don't have/see the same issues.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent some time on the wiring harness for the plane and preparing to install the speed controller. Hopping to get in the correct location so that it is cooled properly. Working with 8 gauge wire is not easy and getting it fit into the connectors takes some persuasion.

E048FD41-2450-429D-A75D-AB71B3309205.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well got all the wiring connected and the radio setup and it all worked no magic smoke. So now it can all be installed and make sure it is cooled properly. Have to make some holes in the bottom and some air deflectors and some air scoops for the motor. Pictures to come.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well got all the wiring connected and the radio setup and it all worked no magic smoke. So now it can all be installed and make sure it is cooled properly. Have to make some holes in the bottom and some air deflectors and some air scoops for the motor. Pictures to come.

Nice! I just ordered some HANU872 Bright Yellow for my repairs.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
So all fixed hopefully it all stays in one piece from now on.

I'm still trying to determine what needs to be repaired or not. The foam has multiple cracks and it's very hard to get to everything. As far as bracing goes, a cross (X) bracing seemed to help a bit. the structure and design itself allows some torsion in the tail section. I put some balsa support chunks under the piece that popped off so it wont happen again. It's hard to do symmetric bracing due to pull pull wires, and the elevator servo wire tube. I added a lot of extra glue in all the joints as there are gaps and even some of the jigsaw joints were a little loose.

D4E46B87-9159-435E-907C-FB5874BB9803.jpeg

I also made some Velcro washers to help give a little tension with my wheels. They work pretty good right now, we’ll see how it works in the long run.
0CE74525-B5DE-49AC-AA2B-7F68FA6D4C80.jpeg

9F4D3C51-1BCB-4BE9-AB56-F8470892DA5D.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You have not done much for the brace across the top to stop it from pulling out again. Can you not glue a stick on the bottom of it and extend it in the rear and some get it glued further back?

What’s with the Velcro is that just to stop the wheel spinning while you are in the air.