• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I tend to go overkill on servos anyway. Would much rather have lots of unused torque than not enough. How do you like the savox? My last jet build I used hitecs d955 and may go that route on the timber nothing else.
What radio are you running? Savox have always treated me well with my Futaba gear. HiTec makes a good servo.

What are you guys using to transport the timber? Anyone using a midsize car?

F150 Ext Cab short bed (6.5ft) The wings fit in the back seat no problem, and the plane sits with room in the bed.
Keep in mind the horizontal tail surfaces can be removed. I always keep them on.

What radio are you running? Savox have always treated me well with my Futaba gear. HiTec makes a good servo.

F150 Ext Cab short bed (6.5ft) The wings fit in the back seat no problem, and the plane sits with room in the bed.
Keep in mind the horizontal tail surfaces can be removed. I always keep them on.
I fly spektrum and its always been flawless with hitec and savox servos. I have a old truck that I use for my 100cc beast but if it would fit in a midsize car it would open up more flying opportunities.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I fly spektrum and its always been flawless with hitec and savox servos. I have a old truck that I use for my 100cc beast but if it would fit in a midsize car it would open up more flying opportunities.
Some Spectrum setups do not like Savox servos for some reason, something to do with the signal... and also they didn't like powersafe receivers.

If there is a will there is a way! The front end is a little bulky and heavy if you have the large gear installed, which makes handling a bit trickier.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I had thought about the xpwr 40cc as well. Might even get the 60cc for some crazy punch. Will end up running 12s 6000mah packs so it should still get decent flight time.

If you install a 60cc keep us informed it should be interesting to see how long the wings and or the tail will withstand that amount torque. Just remember electrical motor have almost full torque at about 10% and up to full RPM.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Made some changes to the air ducting for the motor and especially for ESC. Not quite done but this the first stage this is the front cover plate modified so that air flows over the ESC. Also did a little bit of duct shaping to help the air get into the slot over ESC.
B9540393-97C8-427F-A666-833E11E22162.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well 95% of the building and gluing is done and now it is just a matter of installing the radio and the motor system. So I thought is time to epoxy ever joint I can possibly reach. So filled a syringe several times with epoxy and went at it for a couple of hours. I did this because a friend of mine came to see me with his Timber and he has Gp61 in it, did not feel that the plane was right. So we checked it out and the plane was cracked, split joints and wood separated every were. When we grabbed the tail and twisted it with the front wheels on the table his plane twisted considerably more than double the amount mine did. He is thinking so stripping the complete plane over the winter and fixing all the wood and glue joints. He does fly hard and definitely uses all the power he has in it.

Well 95% of the building and gluing is done and now it is just a matter of installing the radio and the motor system. So I thought is time to epoxy ever joint I can possibly reach. So filled a syringe several times with epoxy and went at it for a couple of hours. I did this because a friend of mine came to see me with his Timber and he has Gp61 in it, did not feel that the plane was right. So we checked it out and the plane was cracked, split joints and wood separated every were. When we grabbed the tail and twisted it with the front wheels on the table his plane twisted considerably more than double the amount mine did. He is thinking so stripping the complete plane over the winter and fixing all the wood and glue joints. He does fly hard and definitely uses all the power he has in it.
Could you post some pictures of the joints? Are they just sloppy or not enough glue?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
EEK! The light ply seems cheap to me. Whomever put these together needs to go back to fitting and glueing 101 school.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick said it all he found several bad glue joints and yes the plywood used is cheap and very light. But when the plane was introduced a year ago at JoeNall it was introduced as 30cc plane. Then it grew to 30 to 35cc , then when the plane was released to was changed to 30cc / 50cc . I do not believe that the plane structure was sufficiently increased to tolerate the increase in motor size. Just looking at my 60cc carbon reinforce 3D planes are considerably heavier in structure.