• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did some work on the Timber today. The ESC is mounted and nicely in the path of the passing air. Got the bottom cutout and added a wind deflector and also filled in the sides so that air cannot Wrap around the ends and tuck back into the opening.

08593CBB-F538-4086-B703-4B3DD5309F37.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
You have not done much for the brace across the top to stop it from pulling out again. Can you not glue a stick on the bottom of it and extend it in the rear and some get it glued further back?

What’s with the Velcro is that just to stop the wheel spinning while you are in the air.

That wasn’t a picture of the full repair. Showing the interlocking frame that wasn’t bonded very well creating flex.
Here is a better picture:
356ACAC7-277D-4C5D-B607-B0F5BBBCA543.jpeg

The Velcro is the hook and loop tape, it’s tough, and won’t rip apart. I sandwiched it between a couple light washers. This should give a little bit of tension all the time... in my theory.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got the two air ducks in place, tried to make it out of foam but did not work so ended up using balsa wood and it worked out good. The air is deflected inwards so that inters in to the front of the motor and travels through it. Hopefully it works.
0456BEE8-90C9-42A0-8CEF-ADA0BE3FD375.jpeg
7F1BBAB1-0518-4200-8B1B-0E17DEA56EAC.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got the tail installed and the two servos connected. Boy that was a tight fit had file out ever single hole to get to fit. But it is on right now and hopefully does not need to be removed in the near future.

0F25A8CB-6757-4CDD-BA22-169A9204913D.jpeg

Really thinking about getting one of these. Will likely go electric and mainly fly mild 3d and sport. Are you guys going with the recommended power system and servos or something else?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Really thinking about getting one of these. Will likely go electric and mainly fly mild 3d and sport. Are you guys going with the recommended power system and servos or something else?

Right on!! @Snoopy1 is going electric. Maybe he can advise you on his setup.
I'm using Savox 2274's which are overkill. The recommended servos are 270 oz/in I believe. I'd shoot for 250-300 oz/in 0.10-16 transit personally. But you can get away with less with an electric setup as you wont have the increased weight or vibration issues to deal with. A lot of it will boil down to your budget and performance requirements.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I am on expert and I have not flown digger electrical powered planes. Spent many hours do all the calculations for the electrical setup and believe I have come up with what believe will satisfy my needs. My needs are pull out of a prop hang with some authority. One conclusion is that it had to be 12s system for the efficiency and keep the amp draw at a reasonable level. The motor I picked up is XPOWER 40cc and Castle HV120. But it will be propped at 19-10 to get some flight time. Only thing now is to get it built and see if all works together

Right on!! @Snoopy1 is going electric. Maybe he can advise you on his setup.
I'm using Savox 2274's which are overkill. The recommended servos are 270 oz/in I believe. I'd shoot for 250-300 oz/in 0.10-16 transit personally. But you can get away with less with an electric setup as you wont have the increased weight or vibration issues to deal with. A lot of it will boil down to your budget and performance requirements.
I tend to go overkill on servos anyway. Would much rather have lots of unused torque than not enough. How do you like the savox? My last jet build I used hitecs d955 and may go that route on the timber nothing else.

I am on expert and I have not flown digger electrical powered planes. Spent many hours do all the calculations for the electrical setup and believe I have come up with what believe will satisfy my needs. My needs are pull out of a prop hang with some authority. One conclusion is that it had to be 12s system for the efficiency and keep the amp draw at a reasonable level. The motor I picked up is XPOWER 40cc and Castle HV120. But it will be propped at 19-10 to get some flight time. Only thing now is to get it built and see if all works together
I had thought about the xpwr 40cc as well. Might even get the 60cc for some crazy punch. Will end up running 12s 6000mah packs so it should still get decent flight time.