• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
Dang. A 56cc will be a stump puller on this plane. Lots of power. Is it the stinger line?

Yeah, not the engine I really wanted. But the alternative was a 35cc and I was afraid it would be to weak when I also installed the xCub u/c and 20" balloon tiers on it.

Its the previous "CNC" line.... never used any RCGF motors before, so will be interesting..

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Yeah, not the engine I really wanted. But the alternative was a 35cc and I was afraid it would be to weak when I also installed the xCub u/c and 20" balloon tiers on it.

Its the previous "CNC" line.... never used any RCGF motors before, so will be interesting..

I hope 20” balloon tires wasn’t a typo.... epic LOL!!

Suprised you didn’t opt for the GP38!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This is for DISCUSSION PURPOSES, I may not be correct and do not have all the answers, my observations. The plane is not built tuff and has shown some failure in the past. Looking at the the engine selection people have selected about 32 engines of different makes and sizes.
Presently I am flying with a 40cc XPWR motor with a 20-10. Plane is 20lbs standing on the runway ready to take off. It will prop hang easily at half throttle and pull out quite well but not ballistic.
It would be interesting to hear from some other folks how have 30 or 35 , 38 and 50cc engines in the plane. We all know that the Dle 55 is overpowering for the plane Nick has proven that with several videos.
Just interested see how and what we are all installing in the Timber and how are we liking it.
@AKNick is the 38 on the market now and price???

Last edited:
Snoopy1, Will keep you posted on the progress with mine w/RCGF55cc. I do not have any illusions that it will be underpowered... but with the Xcub U/C and 8” wheels it will be touching 20lb.. (waiting for some parts that’s in the mail.. so maiden still not scheduled)

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
A 50cc+ is ample power. I don't think the plane needs it at all. It's pretty rare I use the engine at WOT. If someone doesn't want to 3D the timber, I'd say keep it light. a 30cc will be okay, but with the heavy gear and big tires the 35-38cc at least. A 50cc is crazy power on this airframe and It's not built very well to handle the power (you can say the same with any gas motor). If I were to build another I'd strongly consider the GP38. I have had very good luck with the DLE55RA so I cannot give it the boot. Just would make sense to gain prop ground clearance and get rid of the excess weight in the nose.
And yes, the GP38 is in stock and flying off the shelves at Aviator Plus. Extreme Flight carries them now too. Price is $430 USD and it comes with a pitts muffler.
https://www.aviatorplusrc.com/product/gp-38cc/
https://extremeflightrc.com/Great-Power-GP-38-Gas-Engine-_p_6059.html

A 50cc+ is ample power. I don't think the plane needs it at all. It's pretty rare I use the engine at WOT. If someone doesn't want to 3D the timber, I'd say keep it light. a 30cc will be okay, but with the heavy gear and big tires the 35-38cc at least. A 50cc is crazy power on this airframe and It's not built very well to handle the power (you can say the same with any gas motor). If I were to build another I'd strongly consider the GP38. I have had very good luck with the DLE55RA so I cannot give it the boot. Just would make sense to gain prop ground clearance and get rid of the excess weight in the nose.
And yes, the GP38 is in stock and flying off the shelves at Aviator Plus. Extreme Flight carries them now too. Price is $430 USD and it comes with a pitts muffler.
https://www.aviatorplusrc.com/product/gp-38cc/
https://extremeflightrc.com/Great-Power-GP-38-Gas-Engine-_p_6059.html

Hmm, "food for thoughts.." -I will consider my options here. One issue is that the Americans seems to dislike shipping stuff to Europe and either refuse to ship or charge crazy money for shipping. There is options in Europe obviously, so I'll check around. -I see that the ZG28 is available. I like the Zenoah engines. Got one in the Top Lite P47 and its a blast! -On the heavy side though compared to the GP38. I´ll put the thinking hat on here and see what I do...

Btw, could you elaborate on "It's not built very well to handle the power (you can say the same with any gas motor"? Do you suggest that the Timber buildt is better suites an electric set up?

Last edited: