• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Btw, could you elaborate on "It's not built very well to handle the power (you can say the same with any gas motor"? Do you suggest that the Timber buildt is better suites an electric set up?

If you read through the whole thread you’ll see me talk about the lack of glue and supports along with lite ply. It’s a little flimsy. Don’t over think it. You’ll have fun with the 56cc. Just add more glue and some supports in the cabin frame, plan on moving as much stuff as possible aft for the CG and you’ll be fine.

If you read through the whole thread you’ll see me talk about the lack of glue and supports along with lite ply. It’s a little flimsy. Don’t over think it. You’ll have fun with the 56cc. Just add more glue and some supports in the cabin frame, plan on moving as much stuff as possible aft for the CG and you’ll be fine.

Yeah, I did read the thread now and realize your issues. Its a little disappointing that Hangar 9 dont do a better job gluing when they claim its 50cc ready.. oh well.

Getter get into the shack and do some gluing... :)

Did a CG check yesterday and currently, before all installed to be quite good... promising.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Yeah, I did read the thread now and realize your issues. Its a little disappointing that Hangar 9 dont do a better job gluing when they claim its 50cc ready.. oh well.

Getter get into the shack and do some gluing... :)

Did a CG check yesterday and currently, before all installed to be quite good... promising.

Yeah you can dump a lot of glue into the plane thats for sure.
Shoot for 5-1/8" to 5-1/4" CG. The plane seems to handle better south of 5" (w/o fuel). Seems the stall characteristics get more docile.

@AKNick
How did you guys do your weight? I figured out how to balance it using some wire and a PVC pipe wrapped around the spar tube and hang it from that, but how on earth are you weighing this huge thing? It won’t fit on a traditional scale. thanks!

@AKNick
How did you guys do your weight? I figured out how to balance it using some wire and a PVC pipe wrapped around the spar tube and hang it from that, but how on earth are you weighing this huge thing? It won’t fit on a traditional scale. thanks!

Jumping in while waiting for AKNicks comments.. in the manual it operate with a relatively wide area where you can put the CG.. Between 2 1/2" and 5 1/2", recommended 4".. I hung it from the spar tube as well. That just a notch back from 4" if I recall correctly. Was planning to go with that, which is similar to what you suggest I suppose..

Weighing it, I was planning to use my bike scale.. (similar to a fish scale).. but I am considering the Xicoy CG scale as I got other Giants as well that need to be weight in...

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick

Two separate loops of parachute chord. Slide your wing tube on, one loop on either side of the tube. plug your wings in loosely and hang with a fish scale... this is a bit hard because it's awkward and heavy. OR you can use a bathroom scale by holding it, stepping on the scale three times (take the median sum of those), and then weight yourself in the same manner... then subtract the two medians to get a fairly close number.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
For the weight all I did was loop a strap around the propeller and to a fish scale and stood on a ladder .
The CG first flight at about 5 1/2 it was not good moved to about 4 3/4 a lot better will keep testing. Have not flown the plane enough to be sure what I like but this plane seems to fly better with a little nose weight.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
For the weight all I did was loop a strap around the propeller and to a fish scale and stood on a ladder .
The CG first flight at about 5 1/2 it was not good moved to about 4 3/4 a lot better will keep testing. Have not flown the plane enough to be sure what I like but this plane seems to fly better with a little nose weight.

Was that empty or with your batteries? Mine was without fuel only (17oz tank)