• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
@Snoopy1 I am going to try and order an extra tail leaf as well, or make one, because mine only had two springs and while they are currently holding up, I don't trust from what I have heard on here they will last much longer...

And for those of you wanting pics of the LE slats, here are some updated photos from my backyard runway with how the plane currently looks!
*Keeper_1.JPG *Keeper_2.JPG *Keeper_6_updated.jpg *Keeper_4.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
The tail of this plane is pretty heavy to get the CG 5”... at one point I attempted to make a wire Leaf with a 3DP bracket. I lost interest as the other one worked. My 3leaf OEM version is bent a tiny bit but not bad. I think the 3.25” wheel takes a lot of the shock.

it would be easy to make the little third leaf or even add a heavier gauge leaf. Most hardware stores have flat stock.

The tail of this plane is pretty heavy to get the CG 5”... at one point I attempted to make a wire Leaf with a 3DP bracket. I lost interest as the other one worked. My 3leaf OEM version is bent a tiny bit but not bad. I think the 3.25” wheel takes a lot of the shock.

it would be easy to make the little third leaf or even add a heavier gauge leaf. Most hardware stores have flat stock.

I second all of that!
I still need to get your 3D print file and have someone around me who prints to make me your tailwheel mount. I REALLY am seeing the need for a larger tailwheel now with my tall grass I am flying out of! the original one is so tiny, if comes off the rim if you slide a little bit and it gums up with debris and also squeaks really bad!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well boys spent the day flying the Timber. Just kept recharging the batteries over and over, did 12 - 7 minute flights. The new gear worked out great and the Airtops are good wheels and worked out. Thanks for all the recommendations on the gear and wheels it is a success.
All I need to do is buy a some more aluminum and bend up some new Tailwheel leaf springs. Maybe 3 -1/8 thick leafs will do the trick.
Like the leading edge slats they look good. Still need to find mine.

WMcNabb

150cc
Well boys spent the day flying the Timber. Just kept recharging the batteries over and over, did 12 - 7 minute flights. The new gear worked out great and the Airtops are good wheels and worked out. Thanks for all the recommendations on the gear and wheels it is a success.
All I need to do is buy a some more aluminum and bend up some new Tailwheel leaf springs. Maybe 3 -1/8 thick leafs will do the trick.

Sounds like a good time!! Consider me jealous.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok CG started at about 4 1/2 inches flew just fine. Then after some changes started to play with the CG had to get a feel for the plane and some time on the plane. Up to now I have had It up to 5 1/2 inches back Again few just fine did not like the feel. After several changes back and fourth ended up at 5 3/8 or just a little less . Will leave it there for a while and see how it goes.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok CG started at about 4 1/2 inches flew just fine. Then after some changes started to play with the CG had to get a feel for the plane and some time on the plane. Up to now I have had It up to 5 1/2 inches back Again few just fine did not like the feel. After several changes back and fourth ended up at 5 3/8 or just a little less . Will leave it there for a while and see how it goes.

What characteristic are you feeling that you don't like? I haven't got to 5-3/8" yet. Currently 5" Loaded - 5-1/8" empty. Really need to make a baggage compartment in the empennage for this plane to put the batteries in. Too bad there isn't a push-pull rudder servo option either.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
At 5 1/2 inches it just did not land nice and had a tendency to put the tail wheel down first and or do two or three landings. Also in turns it was dragging the tail a little.

RC80AK

50cc
So glad to hear it Snoopy1! I've found the combination of the aluminum gear and soft rubber/air tires to work quite well on rough surfaces. Great job!