• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

15cc EF 60" Edge 540T-EXP Gasser

I have played with a number of 20cc class motors and airframes. The only ones I call successful are the 68/70 Velox's. When the project is done, I will have that to compare this to.

philjac94

New to GSN!
Interesting to see your progress as I was given a Sebart Katana 50E for my birthday from the wife and kids (Bless Em) and could not bare the thought of building it as intended with a Brushless motor so I ordered the Evolution 15cc Gas Engine also, It just so happened to arrive this afternoon. When my bench clears of its current project the Katana 15cc will be started. Cant wait.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Interesting to see your progress as I was given a Sebart Katana 50E for my birthday from the wife and kids (Bless Em) and could not bare the thought of building it as intended with a Brushless motor so I ordered the Evolution 15cc Gas Engine also, It just so happened to arrive this afternoon. When my bench clears of its current project the Katana 15cc will be started. Cant wait.

Would really like to follow your conversion of the Katana... Any thoughts of doing a build thread on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I too looked at the Sebart planes when I was looking for a 10cc project as well as a 20cc project. They make glow kits for some of their planes. A bit pricey here in the States though for their ARFs.

Build log has been updated. Firewall and ignition box installed.

Cody told me to upgrade the hinges and I am going to try the Radio South CA hinges. Robart 1/8" pin hinges are another choice, but I don't like this as it will add at least a ounce or more of weight including the epoxy. Also add a day to the build time based on how I am progressing. I hope all the vibration work I have done on the front end doesn't necessitate this. The 10cc only has stock CA hinges. I had to redo just one surface, and that was because I did not do the drill hole trick. Anyways, they are due in at the end of the week from Atlanta Hobby (I am a electron member, free shipping)

http://radiosouthrc.com/closeup.asp?cid=17&pid=102&offset=0

I flew all weekend and by the time I got home yesterday I was pretty tired. I did get a lot done this week on this project though. All the parts arrived and I got all the hinging done and main servos installed. Need to do the throttle servo and linkage, radio install, and figure out the battery arrangement based on balance needs. Here is the current state of the project.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375698528.519985.jpg

philjac94

New to GSN!
I have finished the Katana and EVO15cc, took a day and a half. I dont think a full build review is needed it is s fairly straight forward retrofit with 6mm ply epoxied to the inside of the main firewall and 20mm tri stock balsa glued to the corners of the firewall support. The Evo is mounted inverted and the standard muffler used. An exhaust spacer is need to clear the cowl if you font want to cut the cowl around the muffler.
Final ready to fly weight is pretty respectable at 2.8kg. This includes 2 x 1000mah flight packs, 400mah Ignition pack, powerbox sensor switch and BoomaRc Ignition Switch. No extra ballast is needed. Cofg is as per the book.
Will take some photos soon.

philjac94

New to GSN!
Photos

Attachments

• katana5.jpg
    katana5.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 361
  • katana4.jpg
    katana4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 369
  • katana3.jpg
    katana3.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 339
  • katana2.jpg
    katana2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 352
  • katana1.jpg
    katana1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 328
I have my H9 katana setup for a 20cc motor. It came out somewhat heavy and did not have the tail authority I like. It is in the attic.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1084[1].jpg

Build log updated. I had to hack up the cowl a lot to get it to fit on the bottom and it will need some reinforcement before I can fly with it on. Luckily with the solid firewall I am not worried about flying it without it. I did a initial tank of fuel in the front yard. The spark plug was DOA, but I stole one from the 10cc and got it going. The RPM was not great, but I suspect the fuel filter I put on the pressure line was hurting so I removed that. Will try to work on it at the field and get it flown over the next few days.

Weight came out OK, but I will hold off on reporting about it until I get it flown and CG figured out.

Last edited by a moderator: