• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

15cc EF 60" Edge 540T-EXP Gasser

Got the maiden done today. There is video I will have to upload at some point. Turns out I need to work on improving the fuel system as it is not getting enough pressure and does not pull very well out of a hover. Some tweaks and I think it will be ok. The CG was a bit on the nose heavy side and these tweaks will make it worse and the fuel tank has been moved forward. I will have to rig up a battery tray in the aft fuse to compensate. Once I get the power situation resolved I think this will be pretty successful. The plane flew very well.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got the maiden done today. There is video I will have to upload at some point. Turns out I need to work on improving the fuel system as it is not getting enough pressure and does not pull very well out of a hover. Some tweaks and I think it will be ok. The CG was a bit on the nose heavy side and these tweaks will make it worse and the fuel tank has been moved forward. I will have to rig up a battery tray in the aft fuse to compensate. Once I get the power situation resolved I think this will be pretty successful. The plane flew very well.

Awesome flight report! Glad the maiden went well. Looking forward to video and pics of the final setup and completed airplane. :popcorn:

Still having fuel delivery problems. Calling Horizon tomorrow. I had no issues with my 10cc, so this is kind of strange to me.

Did 2 flights while we were dinking with the needles and it flies just like a EXP should. Just having problems with the engine. I did make a battery tray in the tail and CG is slightly nose heavy, but well within reason. Didn't do too much 3D today, but I don't think there will be a lot of compromises on this one.

One possible solution will be to use some sort of fuel pump, which will allow me to locate the tank back by the spar which should make the CG pretty close to neutral. pump will add almost a ounce of weight though.

Probably be a least a week before any parts come in so this will be on the back burner again.

Cody suggested getting a Perry pump and it was installed this week and ran today. It seems to have solved the fuel delivery problem. It was still hard to tune and we discovered that the low speed needle was rotating itself out so Patrick put some loctite to try to solve the issue. Ran out of time to fly it after the fix.

I did fly it once before we discovered the issue. It certainly gets going faster than my Laser. I am using a Xoar 15x4 wood prop at the moment. Even with the engine running rich we are getting about a 1.5:1 thrust to weight ratio.

I might get a chance to get out again before heading to the FLI and I will try to get hat cam footage of it.

I am hesitant to comment too much on the flying attributes till I get the engine problems licked. I am still flying without a cowling as the engine has needed constant fiddling.

The Hyde mount is a godsend though. You can see how much vibration is being taken out.

I still need to get the maiden video up.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Try wrapping the threads on the LS needle with teflon tape. This will help seal and keep it from backing out.

Got a bunch of good flights on it this evening. Played with 4 different props and came back to the 15x4 Xoar. Will probably try one or two more. I am getting 9200 RPM on the ground and a little over 10k in the air which works out to a little under 10lbs of thrust. At the moment the plane weights 6 pounds 5 ounces dry, but I have not put the cowling on yet. I weighed a 60 Extra EXP with the battery in it and it came out to 5lbs 11oz so the gasser is basically 1 pound heavier than the electric. I can probably get more speed in the end out this setup, but it does not have the explosive pull out the electric has.

The Xoar 14x4 had electric instant response, but it hit the speed barrier pretty quickly.
Xoar 15x5 lost 1k RPMs in the air for basically no more speed.
APC 14x4W was pretty similar to the 15x4 in feel and performance. I would rather have the bigger prop disk.

I want to try an APC 15x4W and Xoar 16x4 when I can get my hands on one.

I forgot the hatcam, sorry.

I was able to get stable hovers and harriers. The only weird fly habit it has is that with the battery in the tail, it does not do very good waterfalls because it runs out of pitch authority to throw that extra weight around against all the weight in the front with the engine.

I am easily looking at 14-15 minute flight times based on the current fuel consumption.

I am heading to the FLI for the weekend so it will be next week till I can put some flights on it. I will probably wait till I get the cowling done up. It needs some work as I had to cut out the entire bottom for it to work. I bought a backup cowl just in case.

Here is the maiden video. Sorry it took 6 weeks to upload it.

I will hopefully get some time on it this week and get a hatcam video up of how it flies at the moment with a 15x4 Xoar prop and the CG correct. Still have not done up the cowling.

[video=youtube;eBlU7wHZq64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBlU7wHZq64[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
First flight with the cowl on. It was stupid windy.

[video=youtube;eD4nilt7UFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD4nilt7UFw[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
First flight with the cowl on. It was stupid windy.

[video=youtube;eD4nilt7UFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD4nilt7UFw[/video]

Stupid windy is right. Lucky the spectators allowed you to focus on your flying ;)

Looks like power wasn't too bad