• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Rick...to answer your question, I think it'll be enough. The canopy itsel;f is very flexible when off the plane, so I'm not sure how much structural integrity it adds when bolted into place? I'm sure there is some though. With the X-bracing, the added rear bulkhead and the way the latches lock I don't think I'll have any issues. Guess I'll see at some point! o_O

SlowHuck...Yep, refinement is probably a better term!:)

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Gas & Smoke

Krill sells (at least with the 35%’er) a fiberglass tank tray that is molded for round bottles. I like Fiji 1 liter bottles so invested my $ in making a flat tray from CF/balsa laminate. The tray sits right on the spar tube.

From my spare parts bin I found a piece of CF spar sleeve that when sawed in ½ length-wise was a perfect fit over the Krill tube. Mocked up the tray with cardboard and then cut it out and Hysol’ed everything together. I mounted a petcock valve for the smoke oil tank, to prevent siphoning oil into the headers when the plan is in the hangar. Some Spot-On straps hold the tanks in place. Also Velcro between the tanks and tray to prevent shifting. More Velcro straps hold the tray securely to the spar tube, making it relatively easy to remove for maintenance.
DSC09647.JPG DSC09648.JPG DSC09651.JPG DSC00710.JPG
Decided to use aluminum tubing to run the tank vent lines down to the fuse bottom. Small fuel dot collars make nice exits for these. McFueler dots are used for the actual tank fillers on the top of the fuse.
DSC00709.jpg DSC00704.JPG DSC09617.JPG
A Harris smoke pump is mounted on the outside of the motor dome.
DSC00714.JPG

wesley.

70cc twin V2
Dang that is some awesome looking carbon work. I've never really tried building anything CF. I guess I'm a little intimated with the stuff. Anyway that looks really good.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Really nice Earle !! In one of you pictures, I see you already have the aileron connector installed.... which do you go with??

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yeah, I used the mutliplex 6 pin as I recall. Hard-mounted the ones in the fuse...the wings will simply plug into these before installing the bolts.

These pics also show a single Futaba rx on a Smart-Fly PE. I'll probably end up using dual Rx's....just for extra redundancy. I made up a little charge jack panel for the 3 batts. This too may change if I end up using a TechAero on the ignition circuit.
DSC00689.JPG DSC00695.JPG

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
While I'm on electrical, here's the forward tray that hold the Throttle servo, Optic-kill and ignition battery (or TechAero BEC). Again, CF/balsa laminate, 4-40 blind nuts secure it inside the motor-dome.
DSC00141.jpg DSC00143.jpg DSC09846.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice work! What is the thickness of the carbon / balsa sandwich that you used? I've thought about trying that for a few things before but prices seem to very greatly between suppliers so i keep putting it off.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Don't you ever sleep????
I use the 1/8" panels from ACP. I believe it's 3 mil CF on each side of the end-grain balsa. I wick thin CA into the balsa to add compressive strength where needed, or if I want a more finished edge for cosmetic reasons.

Neat stuff, light and strong, but can be a bit pricey!

reyn3545

100cc
Very nice! I've been wondering when you would blow the dust off of this plane and finish it.... thanks for sharing your progress.