• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

35CC 3D Plane

The thing with the DLE-30 in the Velox is that you have to build it just right to get it to balance. Somewhere on the RCG thread there is a great video where one was built as a raffle prize and the builder went through all the things he did to get the 30 to work. rudder servo in the tail, fuel tank built above the spar, and a few other tricks. The DLE-35 is about a ounce heavier than the 30, so it should work. You would have a very powerful combo, just realize that a little kit bashing is going to be involved.

Here is a video of mine last fall when I was practicing pop tops with the RCGF 26BM. At the end I popped a bunch of the wing hinges, but that is all fixed now.

[video=youtube;by5tTo7qLGw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by5tTo7qLGw[/video]

My personal choice for a spare airframe was the Edge this winter. That airplane just fits into my style of flying best.

My Velox is around 9 pounds and the Edge is well north of 11. I would think a 35cc Velox would be close to 10 pounds once you do what you have to, to get it balance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abrams

50cc
The 30cc DLE with muffler and ignition is 38.5oz. The 35-RA is 40.8oz. I was going to ask if the 35 is just too much for the Velox (keep spelling it Volex, oops). HP is 3.7 vs 4.1. And there are cannisters available for all of them from DLE20 to DLE35-RA. Not sure I want a cannister, but I do want the option. Looks like maybe the Velox is my plane after all.

It is very difficult to get a canister to work in the Velox. The fuse is just too small. If noise is a issue, then get a O.S. GT33. It's muffler is very effective, unlike all the other ones out there.

Abrams

50cc
The thing with the DLE-30 in the Velox is that you have to build it just right to get it to balance...

That is very helpful. Unfortunately, can't view youtube at work. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

What in the world would i do without the internet and forums like this?

gyro

GSN Contributor
That is very helpful. Unfortunately, can't view youtube at work. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

What in the world would i do without the internet and forums like this?

You'd have more money in your wallet!

What about the os gt 22?

In my video you can hear me talking about the GT22 on that very Velox. It has slightly more power than the DLE, weights more, and cost only $10 less than the GT33. I sold that motor. It is stupid quiet though. Low 80s on the DB meter.

Abrams

50cc
In my video you can hear me talking about the GT22 on that very Velox. It has slightly more power than the DLE, weights more, and cost only $10 less than the GT33. I sold that motor. It is stupid quiet though. Low 80s on the DB meter.

The DLE20 is a peculiar engine. It's not well suited to 3D unless you change out the ring, change the timing and do some tuning. I've started that process and have a pretty good running engine. With the ring change, it should be even better. The DLE30 runs a lot better. It's not designed as an entry level engine.

I had not even considered the OSGT engines. I didn't realize they had an engine with a carb that pump fuel rather than rely on tank pressure. I'll have to look at that more closely.

The GT15 is a pumped glow type engine. I have not run mine yet.

The GT22 is quiet, but has the on/off throttle response the DLE-20 has. Also heavy.

The GT33 is amazing. The did something to get the throttle to be very linear, only about 91 db at 20 feet, and puts out decent power. We get about the same numbers with a DLE-35RA and the GT33 with the same props.

The GT60 was a disappointment last season. It was reasonably quiet, but I never got the RPM numbers that I was expecting. Turns out I had some damage to the cylinder wall. The motor has been completely rebuilt (70% new parts) and I am hoping for a new start with that motor on the new scheme Redwing slick I have had on back order for a bit too long.

The #1 issue people have the OS motors is that timing is set pretty low and they WILL START BACKWARDS hand flipping. I use my Kavan starter most of the time. For the GT60 we have replaced the ignition with a aftermarket one with different timing. If this works then everyone should be able to solve the starting issue with a $50 part.

Abrams

50cc
I should probably clarify. My main concern is not noise. I would like the opion to use a canister muffler, but it is not my main concern. My main concern is flight characteristics.

I was impressed with the Velox video. I had asked 3DHS what engine was in that plane for the video. I thought they said DLE20, but on the website they seem to indicate it is the DLE30.

Gasoline:
DLE-20 Engine with 17x6 prop Recommended
The DLE-20 is a lightweight and powerful combination for the 70" Velox that provides good pullout from hover and very light weight for excellent 3D. Use the fiberglass beam mounts included in the Velox kit.

DLE-30 Engine with 20x6 prop or Vess 19A prop
The DLE-30 provides extreme vertical and high-speed performance on the 70" Velox. Use with caution. See first video above.
Various 26CC Engines:
Various 26cc engines work well for sport and mild 3D performance on the Velox. The use of a modern prop, such as Vess Aero, is highly recommended.

Realisitically, to get the perforance, I would probably not go with a canister as it would probably add weight. The big question is still Edge or Velox.

I talked to Ben about what it takes for the DLE-30 to work. He is the one who said to build the fuel tank above the spar.

I know I can get more speed out my current velox as that 18x6 was not enough prop. 18x8 is currently on it. Jury is still out on it. Maybe 17x8 or 18x7.

My new 74 edge with the twin is done, just waiting for a acceptable day. Probably fly the Velox and the Edge on the same day. Will winter ever end.