• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHobbyShop 51" AJ Slick

SnowDog

me too...going to see a B-17 restoration in progress and then having a fun fly at the farm where the b-17 is located in a barn. My 51" Slick is going with...hmm...maybe I can strap it to the nose of the B-17 and take a picture...that would beat G.P.'s photo of his 51 Slick on the nose of the 737, I think :)

SteveT.

100cc
me too...going to see a B-17 restoration in progress and then having a fun fly at the farm where the b-17 is located in a barn. My 51" Slick is going with...hmm...maybe I can strap it to the nose of the B-17 and take a picture...that would beat G.P.'s photo of his 51 Slick on the nose of the 737, I think :)

Might just!!!!! :D :D

SteveT

Steve_B, I had a plane with a phonelic tube not glued in and and not enough support across the fuse near the phonelic tube. The side of the fuse flexed and made it look like the wing was flexing. Check this out on your plane. When I glued in the tube and added a cross piece in the fuse it was good to go.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Steve_B, I had a plane with a phonelic tube not glued in and and not enough support across the fuse near the phonelic tube. The side of the fuse flexed and made it look like the wing was flexing. Check this out on your plane. When I glued in the tube and added a cross piece in the fuse it was good to go.

the fuselage tube is not phenolic, it's glass fibre, and it's very thoroughly CA'ed in place. The tube is flexing for sure, the wing tips will move a good couple on inches with only moderate force. I can flex the carbon joiner tube when it's removed from the plane, it's half the weight and half the stiffness of some other planes of similar size.
However I now don't see it as a problem. I don't care if the wings bend up and down a bit providing they don't break, and the feedback I have is that they are all (or at least some) similar to mine and no one has broke one yet.

B

Blucor Basher

Guys - Wing tube technologies change over time. The 51" in particular has been produced since 2008 and has had at least 3 different tube specs during its lifetime. The outer surfaces are ground after curing, so they all pretty much look the same on the outside if they are made with a ground process, but there are a variety of options available to wind them that end up at different weights and inside diameters.

B

Blucor Basher

the fuselage tube is not phenolic, it's glass fibre

You'll find that many people use these terms interchangeably since the phenolic resins are one of many types of resin that can be used to saturate glass fiber cloth to make structural components. In the RC industry, polyesters and epoxies are more common now.

St3v3

30cc
I've been having a lot of fun with mine, however everyonce in a while I lose all power so I have to back off the throttle for a while and then the power comes back.

I'm thinking that I need to alter the esc settings, its an ICE-75Lite set up at the moment as it arrived to me, so factory default, can anyone suggest the best settings for this esc and aircraft?

My slick is build is;
ICE-75Lite esc, HS-85MG servos, Motrolfly DM 3615 750kv motor

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've been having a lot of fun with mine, however everyonce in a while I lose all power so I have to back off the throttle for a while and then the power comes back.

I'm thinking that I need to alter the esc settings, its an ICE-75Lite set up at the moment as it arrived to me, so factory default, can anyone suggest the best settings for this esc and aircraft?

My slick is build is;
ICE-75Lite esc, HS-85MG servos, Motrolfly DM 3615 750kv motor

sounds like you are browning out the rx from insufficient BEC voltage. I'd add an external BEC, like the castle 10 bec.