• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS New Products and General Plane Info/Help for Fanatics

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow, that Vyper has been flying a while! I sold it to "flyhard51" on RCG around this time last year...
The decals were from ADC.

So I am test-flying this 65 Vyper for a friend. He wanted me to decide whether it should be converted to 6S or not. Bad idea to ask me:D
It has a Motrolfly with an 8S setup. ZTW 100A opto ESC.
Took a full throttle pass then to an upline and at the top of an upline I loose power to the motor. I was in the worst position, so I had to land with the 15MPH wind.
Any ideas? How should I go about fixing this?
(BTW, Gyro, this is your Red Vyper. Cowling also got beat up. Where did you get the shark tooth decal? I need to buy a new one:()View attachment 6569

Oh no! OUCH sorry to see that. Did the rest of the plane survive OK?

I think over current protection kicked in... Not sure.
Yep, I am getting it ready for flyhard51 (Stew) he hates programming so he pays me to do it!
Yep, the rest of the plane is okay!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think over current protection kicked in... Not sure.
Yep, I am getting it ready for flyhard51 (Stew) he hates programming so he pays me to do it!
Yep, the rest of the plane is okay!

That's great that its ok. I'm going to guess that you might have pushed it a little hard? The only time I've had a similar experience with this plane was when I didn't have any cooling air over the ESC, and ran it at full throttle for most of the flight and then, over heated it from too many KE spins. I moved the ESC into the air flow, and adjusted the baffles after that flight.

By the way, the ESC does have thermal protection, but not for over current.

wedoitall

finished my first official balsa build this evening, my backup buck 50 edge. not too bad, pretty fun. I'd rather fly than build, but fun on a cold, windy, snowy, rainy day.

now on to the next plane to build, already got the wrinkles iron out on it and will start building it tomorrow.

So I am test-flying this 65 Vyper for a friend. He wanted me to decide whether it should be converted to 6S or not. Bad idea to ask me:D
Took a full throttle pass then to an upline and at the top of an upline I loose power to the motor. I was in the worst position, so I had to land with the 15MPH wind.
(BTW, Gyro, this is your Red Vyper. Cowling also got beat up. Where did you get the shark tooth decal? I need to buy a new one:()View attachment 6569

Bummer!! That was my baby before I sold it to Gyro. It sure has gotten around!!!

Here's my 2 cents. It looks like the plate survived ok, just pulled the blind nuts through the plate. I would either replace the gear plate wood and install new blind nuts, or if you are looking for a quicker fix, epoxy a 3/16" ply piece inside the fuse on top of the gear plate, install blind nuts. and use longer bolts to mount. If the gear plate is loose you might need to add some sidewall support. Most all of the 3DHS airframes can handle a little more weight without issue. Good luck!