• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Edge EXP Build and Fly

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well here is a post of one happy flyer. I finally got to maiden my Edge this morning in-spite of cold temps and a little more wind than I would have liked. Some may remember the fiasco I had with Tower over a bad 7245 servo that they sent then them being out of stock everywhere, then the replacement arriving DOA and finally getting a good one and thus the delays. Between work travel and the weather in the big picture it was no big deal.
Man this plane is flat out awesome, just some slight aileron trim and I was presented with a plane that responded to everything I wanted it to or can even give it. I was actually impressed with the tumbles and looked much better than my 3DHS 47" Extra SHP.
I sent this up with 3 rates, low and medium positions were as posted in the manual for low and high and the high switch position was the same high rate for rudder and aileron but went to 80° on the elevator. This is the first time I flew with that extreme of elevator movement and I like it. I do think I will bump up the low rate elevator but have no planned changes for my next flights.
I could not believe the slow flight of this plane including harriers and elevators. Zero wing rock was mind blowing for me having never flown a plane that did this for me. With the wind I had no trouble turning this into a kite without high alpha, amazing.
The 4315-480 is everything everyone says about it and I was just using a 15x8 prop. My 6S-3300 Glaciers came down at 3.81 to 3.82 with my timer set at 6 minutes and just a slight hint of warmth.
I am waiting/saving for the Laser but I will not be in a rush as this will be so much fun.

hone

150cc
Glad you finally got to fly the Edge! Sounds like it was worth the wait. The Edge is the only 60'' from EF i haven't flown but since the post stall on the Extra and MXS are so solid i'd imagine the Edge must be ridiculously stable.

I heard the Laser is going to fly like a nice combination of a Slick and an Extra.

SnowDog

Congrats on the maiden Ray! That's perseverance for you!! That plane sounds like a really nice bit of engineering. The power system is the same that I've got in my 58" Edge, so I know how well it flies. Glad to hear you enjoyed it...many more happy flights!

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Glad you finally got to fly the Edge! Sounds like it was worth the wait. The Edge is the only 60'' from EF i haven't flown but since the post stall on the Extra and MXS are so solid i'd imagine the Edge must be ridiculously stable.

I heard the Laser is going to fly like a nice combination of a Slick and an Extra.

I've flown the edge, MXS, and the extra and the edge is for sure the most stable post stall, but that not to say the other two are not close.

Well here is a post of one happy flyer. I finally got to maiden my Edge this morning in-spite of cold temps and a little more wind than I would have liked. Some may remember the fiasco I had with Tower over a bad 7245 servo that they sent then them being out of stock everywhere, then the replacement arriving DOA and finally getting a good one and thus the delays. Between work travel and the weather in the big picture it was no big deal.
Man this plane is flat out awesome, just some slight aileron trim and I was presented with a plane that responded to everything I wanted it to or can even give it. I was actually impressed with the tumbles and looked much better than my 3DHS 47" Extra SHP.
I sent this up with 3 rates, low and medium positions were as posted in the manual for low and high and the high switch position was the same high rate for rudder and aileron but went to 80° on the elevator. This is the first time I flew with that extreme of elevator movement and I like it. I do think I will bump up the low rate elevator but have no planned changes for my next flights.
I could not believe the slow flight of this plane including harriers and elevators. Zero wing rock was mind blowing for me having never flown a plane that did this for me. With the wind I had no trouble turning this into a kite without high alpha, amazing.
The 4315-480 is everything everyone says about it and I was just using a 15x8 prop. My 6S-3300 Glaciers came down at 3.81 to 3.82 with my timer set at 6 minutes and just a slight hint of warmth.
I am waiting/saving for the Laser but I will not be in a rush as this will be so much fun.

Congrats I really enjoyed this plane... 7245s really make it a different plane.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've flown the edge, MXS, and the extra and the edge is for sure the most stable post stall, but that not to say the other two are not close.

Congrats I really enjoyed this plane... 7245s really make it a different plane.

The MXS seemed closer to Edge than the Extra to me... but I agree, the 60 Edge is simply amazing post-stall. So confidence inspiring. I still miss mine! Our love affair of 30 flights was WAY too short.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
The MXS seemed closer to Edge than the Extra to me... but I agree, the 60 Edge is simply amazing post-stall. So confidence inspiring. I still miss mine! Our love affair of 30 flights was WAY too short.

Thats funny I felt the Extra was closer, but I have more time on the 60" Extra then I do the 60" MXS . 48"MXS is also super stable post stall. At 30 flights I'm still on the first date... lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I am loving my new PowerLab PL8. I can only get in 3 flights right now in the morning before work and from a balance charge voltage I charged three 6S-3300 in parallel in 9:57. The charger was hovering around 39.7-39.8A charge.

Finally got to fly mine this morning. I've still got a big, stupid grin on my face.

I had it a bit nose heavy for the maiden, ended up putting in 3 clicks of up trim. No aileron or rudder trim at all. :)

This thing flies like it is on rails. The Motrolfly 4415/480 on a 15x8 hauls it around with authority.

With the aileron gaps sealed, the roll rate is very fast, even with the SFGs in place. Did a few tumbles, a pop-top or two, and a few elevators. Drops in an elevator like it is on a cable, with no wing rock at all.

I'm one happy flyer. :-D

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
With the aileron gaps sealed, the roll rate is very fast, even with the SFGs in place. Did a few tumbles, a pop-top or two, and a few elevators. Drops in an elevator like it is on a cable, with no wing rock at all.

I'm one happy flyer. :-D

I sealed the gaps on mine as well and like you said the roll rate is very fast, I like it and mine is with the SFG as well. I am not sure if the roll rate is from the gap sealing or the plane design but I am one happy flyer as well.